Hello From Western Australia

Tommo B

G'Day all and thanks for accepting me.

Looking forward to browsing through and seeing all the projects and bbq everyones doing.

Im 30, been into webering for probably 10 yrs now and recently been reading alot into smoking. So looking to build my first smoker in the coming weeks to try this new-to-me but old style of cooking.

What originally brought me here was reading a post on GitHub about the Heatermeter, which i found really cool. Being a bit of a nerd and recently installed linux on an old desktop ive been delving into the world of linux. Some of the projects are really awesome and i wouldnt mind giving them a try at a later date.

Cheers
Tommo

Welcome aboard, Tommo. :)

You've come to the right place for smoking advice.

I can't get over the long road trains, and the looong straight roads they travel on in your country.

G'Day Tommo!!! How ya goin'? Welcome aboard!! I spent a couple of months over on your east coast. Loved every minute of it!! When I make it back there, I'm gonna have to make it a little further west (farthest I got was Uluru). You'll find lots of great info and smart people to help you here. Good luck with your build!

Haha yeh mate some of those roads very long and lonely. Worlds largest straight stretch of road streches across the nullabor. Not a place you want to break down. That same nullabor crossing also holds the worlds longest golf course which stretches across two states.

And those road trains....wait until you have to overtake a 60m long truck on a narrow road. Its great fun!

YouTube airs a series of programs (the name escapes me) portraying the lives of outback truckers in the land of Oz. Some of those guys have to drive through rivers and wheel-deep mud just to get their cargo delivered. One particular paved road also doubles as a runway for aircraft!

I'm a geography buff, and it would be a heck of a journey just to visit that part of the world.

We have a show on free-to-air TV thats called "Outback Truckers" Its pretty good. Some of the places they have to deliver cargo too would be a hell of a drive in a 4wd let alone a fully loaded semi.
I actually have a mate who works for the show setting up go-pros and cameras etc.. What a job! Get paid to see and travel all around Oz.

Pork and Beef!!! Sometimes a chook or two haha. And the odd leg of lamb too. Me and the boys have been using Webers for years and we've recently been delving into the world of smokers. Im hanging to try a slow smoked brisket.

Currently a mate is designing his smoker which we are planning to build from an old hooded bbq for the meat box, and either an old air compressor or gas bottle for the firebox.

Ive started mine the weekend just gone. Its a prototype and im yet to give it a whirl but im keen. I built mine from old pallets, so its a timber smoke box. Planing to use possibly an old weber for the fire box and plumb the chimney into the bottom of the timber smoke hut. Not sure if its going to be too big though. Its dimensions are 2040mm High and 870 x 870mm in width and depth. So around 80inches tall and 34 1/4 inch width and depth.
Interested to see how it goes. Its all trial an error at the moment.

Tommo, welcome to TVWBB. This is a great place to learn. I'm basically a newbie myself, have learned a lot but have a long way to go. The folks here couldn't be more helpful.

My wife and I spent 5 weeks in Australia and New Zealand this past February-March. What a beautiful part of the world.

Back