Tip Top Temp device

Matt in CT

TVWBB Member
Anyone had any experience with the tip top temp device??
The below YouTube video shows it on a kettle, but I read that it will fit on a WSM. I haven't measured my top vent on my kettle vs my WSM 18 yet. I enjoy manually setting my vents, but I like the idea for overnight cooks. The unit is pretty cost effective as well.

https://youtu.be/tcS4Bg36uCM

I love it! I smoke in a 22" kettle using lump in a Slow N Sear (can't stand briqs, don't ask..) and this is one tricky setup, being very unstable compared to the snake method for example.

Without the TipTopTemp, it's about hopeless, have to keep tinkering with the vents continuously. Using this small kit, it's still not a set and forget setup for an overnight cook but it allows going 3-4 hours without fiddling with the vents. Two things to notice: I had no problem with the learning curve but you have to have a basic idea how it works to use it effectively, and it's sensitive to outside temperature as well (eg. sunshine heating up its mechanism).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, maybe I can help answering them.

I second what you say Kristof, it's a very interesting device and the curve is short as far as learning.
Once you understand how to use it, and some does go against common sense, it will maintain a low temp on a kettle surprisingly well.
Do a test fire to see what it does is my opinion too. The thing works on the temperature differential from ambient, the instructions are pretty clear but, the closing of the bottom goes against common sense. I have had to crack mine a hairs thickness for a few minutes now and then but, it's a very interesting gizmo!
I've only used mine three or four times but, when I get back from vacation, bacon is on the agenda!
I'm happy to offer help if I can too, that's kind of what this forum is all about.

I don't understand how the tip top device can function with the bottom vent closed. I can't quite figure that one out.

My kettle has the newer plastic insulator on the top vent, so I assume that would interfere with the tip top gadget.

What makes you think that Rusty? Mine has the thermoplastic handle too and it fits just fine.
The ide is a bit counter intuitive but, it does work! It creates such a controlled environment that it just puffs along super slow, I need to make a minor tweak so I can run my temp probe to the grill level instead of through the top I'm thinking something like a short piece of ductwork and drill a hole through the side to pass the wire through then set the TTT on top of that.
Now I have something to mentally design on vacation, thanks a lot!

Has anyone tried it for an overnight, where the ambient temp might be less of a factor? If it only holds steady for 3-4 hours
I would be less inclined, as my wsm (using KBB) will hold for that amount of time or more. That's still assuming it will fit the top vent of the WSM.

I read a few reviews where many people were cracking the bottom vent slightly during the cook.

It's not an issue of ambient temperature, it's about the differential. If air temp is "A" and desired cook temperature is "B" you need to set the dial and whatever the instruction sheet tells you to have it run at proper temp.
Read the entire instruction sheet a few times and get a fee for what they are talking about, at first it's completely mystifying but, then the light shines and you say to yourself, "Now I get it!"
It was 75 here the other day and with the setting at "3 1/2" kettle ran abut 225 for six hours solid as Sears! Overnight will have a whole different set of issues, the vent will be open wider to maintain the differential when the sun comes up, you will need to adjust it again.
Does one word of that make sense?
You might want to crack one vent a touch if you have a big cook, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have a fitting issue, the boot is fairly wide. Test for fit cold, the slope might need the removal of the handle.

Last edited:
Right as I do, Matt, I also crack the bottom open just a tiny bit - it just doesn't feel right having it fully closed :) Also, I stripped the plastic handle from the top vent, I somehow never assumed it would work with it..

It's not an issue of ambient temperature, it's about the differential. If air temp is "A" and desired cook temperature is "B" you need to set the dial and whatever the instruction sheet tells you to have it run at proper temp.
Read the entire instruction sheet a few times and get a fee for what they are talking about, at first it's completely mystifying but, then the light shines and you say to yourself, "Now I get it!"
It was 75 here the other day and with the setting at "3 1/2" kettle ran abut 225 for six hours solid as Sears! Overnight will have a whole different set of issues, the vent will be open wider to maintain the differential when the sun comes up, you will need to adjust it again.
Does one word of that make sense?
You might want to crack one vent a touch if you have a big cook, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have a fitting issue, the boot is fairly wide. Test for fit cold, the slope might need the removal of the handle.

As I've learned the vent control is a bit of trial and error, so I'm with you.....until you said solid as Sears. Thought they were closing a bunch of stores :p

I bought one over a year ago and it's still new in the box. With an 18.5 WSM and a 14.5 mini I don't do L&S very often on the performer. Maybe I'll do bacon on it but that's about it. So I'll probably just sell it.

I bought one over a year ago and it's still new in the box. With an 18.5 WSM and a 14.5 mini I don't do L&S very often on the performer. Maybe I'll do bacon on it but that's about it. So I'll probably just sell it.

rich, will it fit on the 18.5 WSM?

rich, will it fit on the 18.5 WSM?

It appears to fit okay.

35895222291_9859d28a40_z.jpg

So, this thing just sits on the top of the kettle? Is it heavy enough to stay in place in gusty winds or a storm? Looks like the automatic vent would be an advantage in windy conditions.

So, this thing just sits on the top of the kettle? Is it heavy enough to stay in place in gusty winds or a storm? Looks like the automatic vent would be an advantage in windy conditions.

It's pretty lite don't know how well it would stay in heavy winds.

It's stamped steel and quite light, I would not try to smoke in heavy weather anyway, unless I had good shelter. That's said, I do have good shelter. So, I pretty much have the ability to smoke anytime.

I’m sorry to bring an old post back to life. I have recently purchased the update of the TTT, the t3. I’m interested to start using this device on my kettles and WSM. But I would like to know how the bottom vents should be adjust?

Would you mind posting a picture of the “new and improved” TTT?
I followed the “Close the bottom” directions and it worked very well, some advocate a small crack on the bottom.

Back