No more Pizza Posts

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
.....from me. Well, not for a good while anyway! i had some left over dough and some toppings so wanted to use them up. I pulled the dough out of the fridge a little too soon. This darned heat this year. Every day this month we've been over 100, plus 11 days at the end of June and a couple in May. Anyway, the dough got too warm. Soft and sticky and wasn't really "user friendly". Did the best i could. A few pic's.

I found this recipe which sounded good. The drawback, for me anyway, was no pizza sauce. Instead, it called for a sour cream/cream cheese mixture with a few other ingredients. Decided to give it a try. First of all there was some bacon.

enhance

Pulled the bacon and fried some onions for a few minutes, then some chopped garlic for another couple of minutes and finally added the sour cream and the cream cheese.

enhance

Mixed well for the "sauce". Not the most appealing thing I've ever seen.

enhance

Here it is... rather "square'. Oh well. Toppings include the bacon, about 3 sliced jalapenos and some shredded yellow cheddar to go along with the mozzarella.

enhance

This one is a Salami, Jalapeno Pizza with Honey. Seeded and finely sliced these jalapenos. The salami I picked up at the Rogue Valley Creamery in Central Point while we were on vacation. Sicilian Green Olives from the deli. Made a sprinkle for this pizza using poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion flakes, garlic flakes and coarse sea salt.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Anyway, on to other things. Had a good time doing the pizzas this week. Learned a lot and got to know the KP a little better. Hope you all are having a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

They came out looking good to me Cliff, Boy your not kidding about this heat wave. Out here in the Central California they said on the news It's the worse one in 17 years.

They are looking good to me!
Much better than mine.

I quite like a sour cream and/or cream cheese base.
Sometimes I mix cream cheese with tapenade and use that as a base (sauce).

Please keep posting pizza's as I like the pics and still trying to improve mine

Looks great, Cliff! Variety is the spice of life.....you may need to do a fire roasted tomato gazpacho or something to counter the heat! ;)

R

Nice pies Cliff. My inaugural run on the KP was not as successful as I would have liked. I need to work on getting the pizza from the peel to the stone. Fortunately the cheese pizza I made for my daughter came out good, the other two we'll chalk up to learning experience.

I found this recipe which sounded good. The drawback, for me anyway, was no pizza sauce. Instead, it called for a sour cream/cream cheese mixture with a few other ingredients. Decided to give it a try
Pizzas look pretty dang good Cliff (as usual) I wouldn't mind the recipe for this "sour cream / cream cheese" sauce if you have a moment, looks dang good to me

Nothing like haveing your face inches from a blast furnace watching a pizza cook on a 100+ day. Yep, done that myself a few times.
Pies look good though.
We've had 41 of the last 45 days at 100+, unheard of were we live at 5500 ft. in the mountains.
Made the mistake of going to Phoenix last Thursday 118 and 90% humidity, don't know how people can live there.

Thanks everyone!

Nice pies Cliff. My inaugural run on the KP was not as successful as I would have liked. I need to work on getting the pizza from the peel to the stone. Fortunately the cheese pizza I made for my daughter came out good, the other two we'll chalk up to learning experience.

Pat.. There's a lot of ideas and tips for transferring pizza from the peel to stone. Some have suggested using parchment paper or semolina flour on the peel. I've found good old corn meal works best for me. The trick is apply the corn meal to the peel and then place your dough on the peel. Go ahead and sauce the dough. Put your base layer of mozzarella on and then give it a shake to make sure the pizza still slides around. Do this a couple of times as you build the pizza. Good luck!

Pizzas look pretty dang good Cliff (as usual) I wouldn't mind the recipe for this "sour cream / cream cheese" sauce if you have a moment, looks dang good to me

Here you go Chuck. I'll throw on the link for the salami pizza too if anyone is interested.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236208/jans-jalapeno-popper-pizza/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=8&isMetric=false

Here's the other.

https://themodernproper.com/posts/salami-jalapeno-olive-pizza-with-honey

Cliff those pizzas look delicious. This heat is for the birds, that is why I'm doing all the cooking outside to keep the house cool. Really looking forward to some cooler weather. Thanks for sharing and try and stay cool my friend.

Nothing like haveing your face inches from a blast furnace watching a pizza cook on a 100+ day. Yep, done that myself a few times.
Pies look good though.
We've had 41 of the last 45 days at 100+, unheard of were we live at 5500 ft. in the mountains.
Made the mistake of going to Phoenix last Thursday 118 and 90% humidity, don't know how people can live there.

You're kidding.

It's actually that hot at 5500 ft?? I would have thought otherwise!

And Phoenix has 90% humidity? I thought folks in Arizona endured dry heat for the most part. Not sure what the dew point and the heat index is with those numbers, but I hope and pray you folks get back to normal soon enough.

And I though it was hot here. :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice pizzas, Cliff, and I hope the heat lets up your way too!

Pizzas look super, Cliff.

I'm going to give the sour cream / cream cheese recipe a try. Just acquired a Blackstone Pizza Oven and am getting it dialed in.

& yeah... the high daytime temps does mess with the dough as you noted.

@Cliff Bartlett and others, I hope you don't mind me asking, but can you give me some advice on the Kettle Pizza?

I'm asking here because people might not check one of the other sub forums.

Here's my recent attempt:

Thanks.

@Arun L. The Kettle Pizza will turn out some great pizza and there are some very talented people on here that will be more than willing to help you. My first piece of advice would be to start your own thread. More people will see it and their replies will be all for you. That being said; I would really suggest not using the Kettle Pizza without a lid. It is designed to have the flames/heat coming up from the back and then directed over the pizza and out the front. If the lid is not there all the heat just goes straight up and the top of the pizza will not cook. I would link to my old posts with pictures of my setup but photobucket changed their service and I have not looked into a replacement yet. I will keep an eye out for you're pizza making thread and should have some more info for you by then.
Keep cooking pizza even if it looks bad it usually still tastes good!

Arun... I'm sure you will get a good response to your post here. A lot of super pizza makers in this forum. I sure give you a lot of credit for hanging in there and sticking with it. Personally, I love the KP. When I started I strictly stuck to the method of use recommended my the makers of the KP, that being one full chimney of coals spread around the rear of the kettle in a C formation. Make sure your stone is up to temp, this is important. Once it is, lay some dry pieces of oak on the coals to boost the temp. You should attain temperatures exceeding 700 degrees. The transfer from peel to stone was tricky for me too. I use corn meal on the peel to facilitate the transfer. The trick is to "test" that the pizza is not stuck before you attempt to transfer by giving it a gentle shake. You might need to do this a couple of times while you add your toppings. Getting the top hot enough was a problem initially for the KP. Then they came out with the baking steel that fits nicely over the top of the KP giving plenty of upper heat. I bought one of those and it works terrific. As you mentioned you can choose to fabricate something of your own to accomplish the same thing. Either that or do as the original instructions from KP directed, lift the peel as far up into the dome as you can for the last 30 seconds or so of the cook. Good luck to you. You might want to do a search of the site, looking for pizza, and review others posts. There's a lot of ideas and techniques provided here.

PS.... Ditto what Ken said about starting out with your own thread. Also, I (once again) forgot that photo bucket wiped out years of history with it's actions a few months ago, so the search I mentioned probably won't be productive.

Last edited:
Great Looking pizza Cliff! We've been in the heat wave here too. We've also been socked in with smoke from the forest fires in Canada and locally. Supposed to cool off next week to the mid 80's. Really hoping that it does!

@Cliff Bartlett and others, I hope you don't mind me asking, but can you give me some advice on the Kettle Pizza?

I'm asking here because people might not check one of the other sub forums.

Here's my recent attempt:

Thanks.

@Arun L. The Kettle Pizza will turn out some great pizza and there are some very talented people on here that will be more than willing to help you. My first piece of advice would be to start your own thread. More people will see it and their replies will be all for you. That being said; I would really suggest not using the Kettle Pizza without a lid. It is designed to have the flames/heat coming up from the back and then directed over the pizza and out the front. If the lid is not there all the heat just goes straight up and the top of the pizza will not cook. I would link to my old posts with pictures of my setup but photobucket changed their service and I have not looked into a replacement yet. I will keep an eye out for you're pizza making thread and should have some more info for you by then.
Keep cooking pizza even if it looks bad it usually still tastes good!

Thank you. I did have my own thread, it was just in another subforum.

I linked to my thread in my post above.

Thanks for the advice about the lid.

And you're right, even if it looked deformed, I could still enjoy it to an extent.

Back