Chicken Mole - for dinner / breakfast / lunch / dinner (last night)

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I've been looking for my favorite mole sauce for the last several months. Yesterday I had another miss but I recognized the brand, just a different style. I like the ready to serve Dona Marie. I had to stop somewhere so I googled it while waiting & it showed as for sale at walmart so I stopped there on the way home.

this is the only one I've really liked so far:
6ae4c901-b052-44de-a3f3-cdd4055c626f_1.891ec5e9df2172df73ce2594309a6285.jpeg

I put 3# of boneless/skinless thighs on the grill for 8 min, flip, 8 min, (maybe 8 more), then I threw 2 sliced poblano peppers, a halved then sliced onion, some water, & the mole sauce into my 12" CI skillet & onto the grill.

19989640_10209855053474916_182192711504346633_n.jpg

Not sure how long I cooked everything like that, maybe another 15 minutes, then I put the chicken in the sauce, added a 2nd package of the mole sauce, and stirred that every 8-10 minutes (3 times, iirc, uncovered). I shredded it a little each time I went out & sampled it to make sure everything was coming along.

20031712_10209855053794924_197574552914059332_n.jpg

20106313_10209855053274911_5161034331925898032_n.jpg

Bet that was delicious Clint. Looks like you nailed it. I tried a mole sauce you recommended a couple of years ago and really liked it. I'll take a peek for this one too.

PS... Your thread title left out brunch and midnight snack! :)

Last edited:
That chicken mole looks great Clint, breakfast, lunch, and dinner all rolled into one.

<snip>

I'm going to order (maybe a case) of it and try your cook in the near future. Looks most worthy!

I just checked the expiration date on the 2 boxes I have left: April 2018 - might have to send me some.

>>>>Cliff: if it was a different brand and you can remember, let me know!

That looks great Clint. I'll check out Wally's the next time I'm there and if they have I'm going to give it a try.

Cliff: if it was a different brand and you can remember, let me know!

Clint... I just started to look back through my old threads to see if I could find it and had forgotten all my old photos are now blocked by Photobucket. Crap, what a waste. I tell you I wouldn't go back to them if they paid me to use that worthless site. i could understand if that was their policy going forward, but to go back and hold everyone hostage is total BS. Enough of the rant. I'll see if I can find it in my notes and paper cy recipes. Don't hold your breath. I know I found it at Winco.

Last edited:
Clint... I just started to look back through my old threads to see if I could find it and realized all my old photos are now blocked by Photobucket. Crap, what a waste. I tell you I wouldn't go back to them if they paid me to use that worthless site. i could understand if that was their policy going forward, but to go back and hold everyone hostage is total BS. Enough of the rant. I'll see if I can find it in my notes and paper cy recipes. Don't hold your breath. I know I found it at Winco.

that sucks about photobucket - it's internet-wide! I joined a motorcycle forum a couple months ago & when people started having problems here, they were having them there too! At least flikr was upfront about the small free then fee for more. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of leadership took place @ photobucket.... "we can't do this". anyway, that sucks!

I'm pretty sure this is the mole I found & liked, it is good so try it again :)

I just hired a guy who was born in Acapulco, he might straighten me out on the real good stuff :)

You were right Clint. Found this on an old chip. Guess the boxed packaging threw me. You've been consistent through the years!

:) I know what I like :)

I might try the stuff in the glass jar again just for fun - something about that was off & the boxed stuff just works. Happy I found it again, it's good just to dip chips into (the chicken mole as I prepared, I haven't eaten just the sauce).

Hopefully I'll see some more of their stuff (4 options at the bottom of their website)
http://www.donamariamole.com/
(Mole Pipan, Mole Verde, then the boxed, & the jarred stuff)

speaking of consistent (Trying to go more regularly again), I'm heading out to hike in the Alexander Basin - I have my altimeter watch on, backpack loaded with 2.5L water & 2 frozen cans of beer for the top (forgot in the freezer last night). Hope I make the top but who knows.

https://utah.com/hiking/alexander-basin-trail

Finally get to make some Chicken Mole using Dona Maria mole sauce - but as you would expect, I'm not following the proven method (Clint's method) wish me luck. Went on 12:10PM looking for tacos at around 3PM

308CFC4B-C215-4939-94B2-BE52B3239ACD_zpsnaleiqbk.jpg

7D590E43-F9C6-4B0B-B58F-66A957C313ED_zpsbdfz4zus.jpg

Back