WSM 22" Upgrades?

JMark

I just bought a new WSM 22" (I've used an 18" for a couple years).

Does anyone have the water bowl upgrade (higher capacity) from Cajun Bandit? Is it worth $35 to increase the water bowl capacity to 20 quarts?

Also, is the Cajun Bandit door upgrade worth $39?

Thanks.

Does anyone have the water bowl upgrade (higher capacity) from Cajun Bandit? Is it worth $35 to increase the water bowl capacity to 20 quarts?

Thanks.

Door yes, pan no. Even on overnight brisket and pulled pork never have had to refill when cooking around 225-250

I've been smoking for 1.5 years. Several months ago I did my first smoke without water after reading that many others do not use water; I simply foiled the dry pan. Thus far, I have never used water since that first experiment. I'm not saying it's wrong to use water but I am content without it for now.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Hi How were your vents on your new WSM 22. Just got mine yesterday, and see tiny openings in the bottom vents.
Thanks Dan

Also; regarding the door I did purchase the CB version with their lock. My CB door is quite possibly no better sealed than my stock door but my stock lock suddenly started feeling weak, so I do at least feel that I have a high-quality door lock.

The only time my bowl gets wet is when I wash it, and that only happens if I am lazy and I don't throw away the foil soon enough after a cook and the dripping eat through it.
Save a lot of clean up time, crumple foil to form spacers that sit in bottom of bowl, place multiple layers of foil across top of bowl forming a depressed foil bowl.
Cooks great, and unless you let it sit until the dripping eat through the foil clean up literally takes 30 seconds.

I did the Cajun Bandit door, wheels and clamps. Also added a BBQ Guru DigiQDX2.

I'm very pleased with the results of each. It's a trouble fee smoker that kicks butt with minimal trouble.

I did an overnight 225 degree brisket last week and the water factory Weber water pan still had plenty left after 18hrs.

I really like these smokers.

The only time my bowl gets wet is when I wash it, and that only happens if I am lazy and I don't throw away the foil soon enough after a cook and the dripping eat through it.
Save a lot of clean up time, crumple foil to form spacers that sit in bottom of bowl, place multiple layers of foil across top of bowl forming a depressed foil bowl.
Cooks great, and unless you let it sit until the dripping eat through the foil clean up literally takes 30 seconds.
Really? I'll have to try this! I have the 22" WSM and clean up is my LEAST FAVORITE part.

For what it's worth, my routine is:

- Foil bowl/Water for long cooks like butts and brisket
- Foil bowl/No water for medium cooks like ribs
- No bowl for short cooks like chicken

I know others have other preferences, and I'm not knockin' their advice, but I've been doin' it my way for years with no problems.

I love the door. I'm seriously thinking about the leg kit.

Another great upgrade is the Hinge from Unknown BBQ.

BD

Last edited:

Back