HeaterMeater Stash vanished

Mark Lowpensky

I am new to HM. I had about 5-6 cooks stashed in the archive and had my HM powered down while I was out of town (7 days). I powered it back up today and they are gone. I sshed into the unit and the whole stash directory is gone. I figure they are lost for good (if I am wrong that would be great), but what could I have done through the GUI to cause this? HM version 20161230B

Thanks,
-Mark

That's a good question. I'm sure there's no way to delete more than one stash item at a time so it's not like you could have clicked something to delete it all of them. The only thing I can think of is that the stash partition became corrupted and the files were lost. I'm not sure how that can happen though. I'll look into it and see if I can find any case where the system would clear the stash partition inadvertently.

Thanks, but not a huge issue for me. I did have a stash backup, so I think I only actually lost one cook. I'll probably just sftp them back up there once my current cook is done. I can check the logs if you think there might be something there and you can point me in the right direction... I am comfortable with putty and grep. ;-)

Thanks,
-Mark

Digging into the source I can see that if the e2fsck returns non-zero the filesystem will be reformatted which is probably what happened. Looks like I need to create a finer granularity so that if the filesystem errors were corrected then don't reformat. Thanks for finding this, I'll add better resilience to the next snapshot. I'm actually surprised that the filesystem could even become corrupted. It only gets written to when the stash is written and is followed by a sync operation so there's a wicked small window in which it can be dirty.

There's no logs stored persistently but if your device is still running since it was lost, then you can `logread | grep mmcblk0p4` and see if there's anything in there.

No, I had the unit in the house, checking on some servo issues and then moved it outside, so it has been power cycled. Thanks for looking into and finding this.

Back