Caster Wheels

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Why are the little caster wheels on 3/4 of the grill I come across locked up? The little locking levers are not engaged, but on well over half the older genesis and spirit grills I have dealt with the little caster wheels are frozen and won't turn. I can't even get them to turn by grabbing them and forcing them. I wind up having to replace them in most cases. Luckily I can get a pair at Menards for $5.00 but I just don't understand why plastic wheels freeze up like that. Annoying. Is it from grill gunk getting into them or what?

Bruce, I know what you mean, although out of the 5 grills I've come across so far, only 1 of them had the casters locked up. All of the other grills, including 2 that I parted out, had good casters.

Mine were locked up but I freed them up. I've got a little oil dropper with some synthetic motor oil in it. That stuff works wonders.

I tried some oil on a set with no love. I just figured if they were locked, there were melted or otherwise permanently locked up.

I think the key is using the sythentic stuff. It has a way of getting in places regular oil won't. I work on copiers and the stuff comes in super handy sometimes. Maybe I just got lucky on freeing up the casters. Oil is best for metal on metal and here you have metal on plastic, but its still works pretty well.

Back