Brown hood

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I haven't come across a brown hood before. Just black, red and green. But I picked up a donor grill (genesis three burner) yesterday and it has a brown hood. Is there any significance to the brown hood or is it just another option?
It seems to be in good condition so it will probably wind up on one of my future grill rehab projects, but I was just wondering if the brown hood has some extra significance or value.

It's funny. People are always saying that it's hard to find the red lids, In New England there are ton's of 'em, followed by Black.

Green and Brown are out there as well followed by the three I have in Blue, Grey, and Copper.

Jeff

Last edited:
Yep, Black is what I see by an overwhelming majority. Then red, then green, now a Brown, but havent come across one of the others yet. Of course, I have only been into rehabing weber grills for 4 or 5 months.

It all started when I notice an add on CL for a free curb pickup in a close by town. It was a disaster, but I rehabbed it and it is now being used by a nice middle aged man. I am looking forward to finding some of the other color variations. I am mostly color blind, but I can tell most colors when I get up close. The brown one that I found could also be called burgundy maybe. And the green ones, in my mind could also be called gray. I would really like to see a Blue one as long as it is truly a blue and not some off blue.

Here is your Blue one- :rolleyes:

913Jx7w.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Dammit Jeff. that is freeking beautiful. The search is on. Wonderful job of restoring that thing too.

Thanks guys.
I am very happy how it turned out especially seeing where I started with it.

Jeff

Thanks Chris. The sticker on the grill is totally blank so I have no way to figure the age of it. It does have durawood shelves though. I am not sure when Weber went to Durawood.

Chris,
Can you tell me what color Weber states that is? Because the pic looks like the lid I recently picked up which appears more copper in color.

I see this shade of brown every so often for sale-
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/502925483364181721

Jeff

The brochure is posted here: 1993 Weber Genesis & Spirit Gas Grill Brochure

The color is called "Brown". Here are model numbers for brown Genesis grills:

Genesis 1000: #219001 LP, #319001 NG
Genesis 2000: #229001 LP, #329001 NG
Genesis 3000: #239001 LP, #339001 NG

Genesis 4000/5000/5500 comes in "Grey" and "Mauve".

Thanks Chris. The sticker on the grill is totally blank so I have no way to figure the age of it. It does have durawood shelves though. I am not sure when Weber went to Durawood.

Would love to see a photo of this grill. Maybe a 1000LX if you've got Durawood work surfaces.

I have the maroon hood shown in the pinterest link. It looks great in front of the brick wall the grill sits in front of on the side of the house!

Would love to see a photo of this grill. Maybe a 1000LX if you've got Durawood work surfaces.

Chris: Keep in mind that I am legally Color Blind. Looking at the photos I took, it looks more like a redish brown or "burgundy" color. In person, it looks more brown, but as I said, I am color blind and browns, reds, blues, purples all give me a lot of trouble.

Check it out, let me know what you think and if you can give me any indication of model or year, that would be excellent.

fKUsunz.jpg

yESL0CM.jpg

Yep, that is what I would say as well....in person, it looks more brown to me in person though.

I hope Chris can ID it for me.

Last edited:
It's clearly in the Genesis 1000 series, probably 1000LX, probably mid-1990s. Sadly, we don't have any Weber product catalogs for the 1990s, so I don't know if this color was a standard color or a premium color available only at select retailers like Ace Hardware.

You might look for a model/serial number on the underside of the control panel or on the frame next to the control panel once it's removed.

Here is a photo of the markings on the bottom of the Firebox. It looks like it is an "L 1000 FB-1"
I can barely see some markings on the sticker on the end of the right shelf and it kind of looks like L1000 also. Does that mean anything to you?

VooqDfy.jpg

Back