Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best charcoal smoke method

TVWBB Member
    ChuckO any particular reason you mounted your top grate higher up? I was going to mount mine 4 inch's down.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonzo Wallace View Post
    ChuckO any particular reason you mounted your top grate higher up? I was going to mount mine 4 inch's down.
    I have 3 grates in total in my Mini. One 3" from the bottom where my diffuser sits, only 3 inches above the diffuser grate and then one 4" above the middle grate. It's not too often I use my middle grate, maybe a half dozen times in all the years I've had it. However, I recently did rolled ribs in my mini, and that's a cook I'll likely do again, when only doing a rack or two, so my lower grate would compare to your 4" down from the top, and is going to see more use than it has in the past
    85 78

TVWBB Member
    I wanted 3 grates in mine also but I wanted to cut one to fit at the very bottom of the pot. Have the thermometer and first grill grate all set up. It's just me and my wife so 1 grate will be fine but want another grate for bigger cooks when family and friends are over.*

I can smoke on it right now but there's a few more things I want to do.

TVWBB Member
    Nothing special but can't wait to try it out. I'll be using the the metal pan with holes that came with the steamer pot for now.

Last edited by AlfonzoW; 07-17-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Excellent Mini, Congrats! Looking forward to it's first cook!!!
    85 78

Nice job on that mini Alfonzo! Now let's see some cooks. Where in Texas are you located?
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Will the center section of a 14.5" WSM work in this situation instead of a pot?
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

TVWBB Member
    I'm south of Houston. I'm not to sure if the wsm center section14.5 works but I'm sure you could "make" it work. Got some expanded metal today to make a charcoal basket with the charcoal grate that came with the smokey Joe then I found this posted by user Alan dively. I like the way it widens towards the top for more coals.

That's going to be one trick pony Alfonzo! Now hurry up and cook something
    85 78

TVWBB Member
    I use that same metal pan with holes that came with the pot. It has been working fine for me.
    Good luck on Maiden Voyage!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast