Charcoal grate mount

Dennis.B

TVWBB Fan
Hia

I feel the water pan om my 18" cooker is very close to the coal.

The charcoal grate is barely resting on the nuts of the legs, I can slide it on the side so the grate just rest on the walls of the bowl

which is the right?

Dennis, the fix for the water pan problem used to be replacing it with the charcoal pan from a Brinnkman smoke n grill because the Brinkmann pan had a flat bottom. Unfortunately Brinkmann stopped making them. I stopped using water in my WSM and just foil the water pan. If you go the no water route you can get a heavy duty round Pizza pan and foil that. It will give you much more room and will quickly learn how to control temperature without the water. If you cook without water your charcoal will give you a longer cook before you need to add coals and if you want to try high heat cooks you can do it much easier without water.

I think that will give you a lot more room than trying to lower the charcoal grate. Hope it helps.

Thank you Lew

Well i did a few dry runs to season it when new, didnt seemd hard to control the temp.
But tho change it to a flat shield dont seem god because it is good with a bowl to catch the drippings.
I might just have to learn how much charcoal to use

Dennis, my experience is that any drippings that get down to the water bowl just cook up. If you're not using the lower cooking grate you can put a foil pan there to catch drippings. That's what I do. It won't take you long to figure out what works for you and you'll have fun doing it.

Back