Admitted defeat - looking for help

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I spent the afternoon looking for replacement cooking grates for a 2001 Genesis Silver B. I went to home depot, true value HW, Ace Hardware and Blaines farm and fleet. All in three different towns. I was unable to find a set of Weber cast iron, porcelain enameled grates anywhere that would fit a Genesis Silver B.

I got on line and am unable to find the Weber part number for the grill grates as well so that makes searching online difficult at best. Does anyone know the part/model number for the grates?

I don't really care for the pressed steel grates and am not looking for that part #. And I know about Stainless from both Weber and RCplanebuyer. But this grill is for resale and I don't want to go that route.

If someone can give me a definite Weber part #, I would really be happy. :)

Thanks rich, I see they are discontinued, but as far as I can tell, the newer model that fits the Genesis 300 series (Part #7638) looks like it has replaced the old Silver B grates. The seem to be the right size. I just wonder why the box and documentation doesn't specifically state that they will fit a Genesis Silver B as well. There has to be a lot of people replacing older Silver B grates over the past few years.

Also, the grates in that schematic definitely will not fit a Genesis Silver B. They are the wrong dimensions: 17.5"x9". I think the older part number for the Genesis Silver B was #7526. The ones in the schematic are #7525.

Can someone confirm that the Genesis 300 series grates will fit a Genesis Silver B???

Last edited:
Bruce, the part # is the same for the standard replacement grates for the Genesis 1000 and the 2001 Silver B 7525.

The grates on my 2006 E320 are quite a bit larger than the Genesis 1000 grates the E320 grates are 19 3/8 X 12 3/4. definitely won't fit the B.

I think I found an answer to your question the spirit 300 are what I think you're referring to not the genesis 300s.

Here's a link to amazon look at the one that fits the spirit 300 # 7526 it also says it fits the 1000-5000 Weber's. 3rd one down.
So if you can find a set of CI grates for a spirit 300 I think you will have a winner.

https://www.amazon.com/s//ref=as_li...=aa237f2e02acbcdd30ddbff199b67512?tag=TVWB-20

Last edited:
Jeff, that is what I am finding as well. Just no proof positive confirmation. I wonder why Weber doesn't list the Silver B/C as compatible on the box??? It just lists Spirit 300 series.

Good deal, I am going to pick up that set of #7638 grates at Home Depot tonight. I will report back what the result is.

A lot of the parts are more interchangeable than you would think. I'll bet it works. Good luck!

Yep, I just put the #7638 cooking grates in and they fit perfectly. I can see they have been slightly redesigned. It almost looks like they are upside down when you put them in. Now, cooking side is on the flat side of the triangle shaped bars. Whereas, I believe the old ones were to be put in so the up side was the pointed side of the bars up. Or maybe every Weber grill with the cast iron grates that I have seen so far was supposed to be flat side up???

Also, it sure seems like the bars a little further apart and the overall weight of the grates are less than before.... I guess it is just a cost cutting tactic. I can see why a guy would want to spend another $50 for the RCPlanebuyer SS grates. But for a resale grill, it would be tough to get my money back on those.

Bottom line: The #7638 Cooking Grates work fine in the Genesis Silver B series grills.

Flat side up is how they are supposed to go. A lot of people (me included) don't know that at first.

Slainte!

Tim

No, the older ones really were designed to be flat down. If you look at the cross bars on the old ones they stick up ever so slightly when the flat is up. Now they have the cross bars sticking up when the pointy side is up. They did that so they could cast it with wider spacing and give you the illusion they did not cheapen them up. The extents they are going to to cheapen things is really bad IMO

Larry: That is exactly how I see it as well. It is like when a 4 oz Snickers candy bar selling for $1.00 is sized down to 3.5oz and still selling for the same $1.00. Instead of raising the price, they reduce the size which is not immediately noticeable. It is called "marketing strategy".
Again, if I was buying for my own personal grill, I would probably go with SS grates. They are becoming more and more appealing all the time even with the higher price.

Speaking of SS grates, I saw some after market ones in an Ace Hardware for $69 the other day. While they are not RCPlanebuyer grates and probably use a lower grade SS and slightly smaller rods, at $69, they are basically the same price as the Weber Cast Iron grates and close to half of what the RCPlanebuyer grates go for. I may pick up a set to drop in one of my rehab/resell projects, maybe even the Genny 1000 project for my own grill.

Last edited:
They probably are spaced so badly you can drop an entire steak through them. Of course it would not be much worse than what Weber is foisting off LOL
Hey BTW did you see that free Weber in Madison CL? I didn't bother because I figured by the time I did the trip there it'd be gone. But Madison is just a skip and a jump for you eh?

Yep, I inquired about it. I said I would pick it up but only if they agreed to set it aside so it didn't get snatched while I was on my way. They must have put it out before leaving for work because they emailed back and said they would check to see if it was still there when they got home (around 4ish). I haven't heard anything back so I am pretty much writing it off. If they call back fine, if not, oh well.

It would be about 50-60 miles one way for me.

Back