Design My Cook

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
Hey Smokers;
Looking for advice. I am hosting 20-25 people for our annual summer BBQ. 2 years ago
I did 3 different types of pulled pork. Last year I did St. Louis spares. This year
I want to mix it up. I just pulled out a 7# bone in butt, so that is 1 choice.

I am thinking of a brisket/point (~ 8 lbs), or maybe a full brisket packer on the top?
Or maybe a 2nd butt?

I have a couple not red meat eaters over, so I am putting 2-3 beer can
chickens on the kettle at dinner time.

So, it comes down to:

Butt + brisket/point
Butt + brisket/packer (might be too much food? too long of a cook?)
Butt + Butt

Thanks
~ Sean

:wsm22: :blackperformer:

8 lbs of pork butt, 8 pounds of Brisket and 8 lbs of chicken should feed 25 unless they're all healthy voracious young men.

Butts and ribs reheat without much damage, so you can make them ahead of time -- a day or two is good. Brisket likes to be cooked, rested, then consumed. Chickens are good hot off the grill. I used to do a family BBQ every year with about that many people and I did all four meats over about three days. Butts and ribs cooked first, then foiled and refrigerated. Reheated in the oven. I timed it so that the brisket would have 3-5 hours of rest before serving. It also gives you a time buffer. We served the meats consecutively as "first main course", "second main course", and so on. Everyone looked forward to Labor Day because of it.

Jeff

I'm with Rich, two butts and a handful of chickens, plenty of feasting! Next time, just do a full packer and see what the crowd says. More is not always better. Have fun and the feast will be fine, fret over it and you will second guess everything and not have the fun you should!

Thank you everybody.
The inmates convinced me for the trifecta of the 3-Bs: brisket/butt/bird.
This 7.25# flat will go on the top rack, while the 7.3# bone in butt on the bottom rack.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0eGrq0zwGHesip

Any advice for this smoke?

thanks
~ Sean

Now you know what you want to do...meat wise. As far as smoke, go light.

Chickens on a kettle...with charcoal and dry fruit wood. Brisket and butt on the WSM with charcoal and fruit/nut wood. If you are doing it all and only have the option for one type of smoke...I would go with apple...but YMMV. Apple is light and a crowd pleaser.

Yup - cook is under way.

Brisket and Butt are on.

2 chunks Apple + 1 chunk of Hickory.

Tomorrow, 2 beer can chickens with soaked cherry chips on my kettle.

thanks Mike.

This 7.25# flat will go on the top rack, while the 7.3# bone in butt on the bottom rack.

I wish I'd seen this before you put the meat on. My personal preference would've been to put the butt on the top rack ("butt over brisket") so the dripping pork fat bastes the beef, but otherwise I think you're spot-on!

I wish I'd seen this before you put the meat on. My personal preference would've been to put the butt on the top rack ("butt over brisket") so the dripping pork fat bastes the beef, but otherwise I think you're spot-on!

I thought of that Brad.
However, I thought it would not matter as I was going to wrap the brisket with butcher paper.

I am enjoying the 195* stall on the brisket now.

thanks

Back