Things that make you go, hmmmmm?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I saw a CL add for a green head Genesis a couple weeks ago. He wanted $25 for it and it looked in pretty good condition except the Flavo bars and grates were pretty well shot and it was pretty dirty. But, for $25, it looked like a great candidate for rehab and resell so I picked it up. When I called the guy about it, I asked how the flavo bars and grates were. He said they were still serviceable....NOT. Anyway, he said that other "thing" below the grates was about shot. I was unsure what he meant. I asked for a photo and he sent one. It didn't look like anything I was familiar with, but I figured it might be some kind of accessory that I wasn't familiar with. When I got there to pick it up, I pulled up the grates and lo and behold, there was the wire mesh tray from the bottom of the grill frame sitting between the cooking grates and the flavo bars. Funny thing is, the wire mesh tray seemed to fit the cook box perfectly. Needless to say, it was "Toast" literally.
Why the guy thought it belonged in there is beyond me.....I just wonder how his first few grillings went since those things have a rubberized coating on them and the smoke and smell must have been horrendous until all burned off.

I just thought I would post that, maybe make someone have a little chuckle.

Whole lotta stupid in the world. Ever wanna see how much become a flight attendant as I was prior to retiring. You'll just shake your head

Thankfully I never witnessed that kind of thing but the stupidity and rudeness of people goes beyond amazing me. Thankfully after a short while in the air you get to learn the fine art of "crop dusting" ONe of those fun ways to get back at some of them.

When I was looking for my redhead genesis gasser I went to look at one and when I got there the guy said " I have to be honest don't know if you're aware these aren't very good grills because the charcoal is to far down to put out much heat" The propane hose was there, no bottle and this guy is using it as a charcoal grill.

When I was looking for my redhead genesis gasser I went to look at one and when I got there the guy said " I have to be honest don't know if you're aware these aren't very good grills because the charcoal is to far down to put out much heat" The propane hose was there, no bottle and this guy is using it as a charcoal grill.

Yah, that was my thought. The guy probably thought is was some kind of charcoal accessorie. It was almost completely burned up when I got it. I don't know that he ever actually used charcoal in it though.

Hopefully, people that do stuff like that elect to not procreate.

My old neighbor did a similar thing, but perhaps I should give him credit for 'recycling'. Burner and/or igniter went out on his Brinkman gasser. So he just removed the innards and turned it into a charcoal grill. :p

Yah, I think there are a lot of people that do that with older grills. I have seen posts on here where people have converted old Weber Gassers to charcoal.

When I picked up my black SSP the seller complained that it didn't get hot enough. He was using the gas assist to cook on! He didn't realize it was a charcoal grill!

When I picked up my black SSP the seller complained that it didn't get hot enough. He was using the gas assist to cook on! He didn't realize it was a charcoal grill!

It's kind of shocking how often that happens.

I wish it would happen to me and I would get a great deal on a "defective" grill.

Back