WSM Hot Fast Butt And Ribs At Same Time

I am a fan of the hot and fast technique for pulled pork ... Butts in an aluminum pan, WSM set to 350 or so, butts brought up to 180-185, wrapped, off at 205, blanket wrap and rest in cooler for hour or 2. Works great and done in 6 hours. (I know the aluminum pan comment will anger some, but it works for me).
I use the 3-2-1 method for spares and it works out great as well.

I was asked to do butt and ribs for this weekend and want to get both done at the same time - 2 butts and 3 racks of spares on a 22" WSM.
Any tips on getting this done?
I was thinking of getting the butts on for the first hour, on the top rack, then put the ribs on the bottom rack and let'er go. Juggling the racks and the pans is gonna be a pain but not that bad. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Nick

The first problem I see is that 3-2-1 is meant for cooking at 225. If you do that at 350 your ribs will be annihilated. You can definitely cook your spares that hot, but the timing is going to be different. I'm going to guess it's maybe a 3 hour cook max. I'd just get your butt done, and resting and then cook the ribs, or put the ribs on when you are wrapping the butt. Either way, you are going to have to do some juggling on your racks.

The first problem I see is that 3-2-1 is meant for cooking at 225. If you do that at 350 your ribs will be annihilated. You can definitely cook your spares that hot, but the timing is going to be different. I'm going to guess it's maybe a 3 hour cook max. I'd just get your butt done, and resting and then cook the ribs, or put the ribs on when you are wrapping the butt. Either way, you are going to have to do some juggling on your racks.

Dustin,
Great catch, thank you!
So, I should of asked if doing butt and spares hot and fast was possible.
Sounds like it is, I have to watch the timing.
Lemme research hot and fast ribs and I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again!

Hey Nick, no flame from me:)
I've been doing HH or Kick Arse butts in pans since 06. I would put em on the bottom rack until you like the color or temp, then foil.
Add the ribs on top and 3-2-1 can and will work for 275 or higher. Maybe do a 2-1-1.

Tim

Hey Nick, no flame from me:)
I've been doing HH or Kick Arse butts in pans since 06. I would put em on the bottom rack until you like the color or temp, then foil.
Add the ribs on top and 3-2-1 can and will work for 275 or higher. Maybe do a 2-1-1.

Tim

Great advice!
Thanks Tim.

Both the above guys have made excellent points about method, for me, the separate cook sounds like a good route, each one having the attention needed to come out well.
I have become a big fan of the "wrap and rest" technique. It offers enough flexibility for preparation of sides and most importantly, the mixing of cocktails!

I lay my ribs meat down (so the ribs don't poke holes on the foil).

I put my ribs on the bottom rack. During smoker assembly, place the handles of the bottom grate in an east-west orientation from the door opening. The grate "bars" will be facing north-south (with you being the South Pole so to speak). This orientation will allow you to "slide" foiled ribs in and out of the archway fairly easy. Just slide out the center slab (first) to access the two on either side of it when checking them for doneness.

As a bonus, when using this method you won't have to open the lid and remove the top grate to access the ribs below.

Also, if you use a foil pan I found a "Jiffy-Foil" brand poultry pan, 9 3/8" square X 2 3/8" tall will also slide in and out of the archway if you fold two sides down a little bit. I use these pans for the scraps from cutting spares into a St. Louis cut slab. The meat is great when added to chili or just for sampling while the butts are resting. You could also use them for baked beans and such...both the meat and the pans. :)

Back