Removing badge-stains from Genesis lid?

PaulD

TVWBB Member
Got my hands on a redhead. The cleanup process is coming along, but hit a snag on the lid.

The lid has some stains that apparently came from the badge. Over time, the badge surface turned into a white flaky substance, which apparently "leaked" some haziness onto the porcelain top. It almost looks like calcium or lime buildup.

IMG_7868.jpg

IMG_7869.jpg

^ The issue doesn't look so bad in the photos. It's much more noticeable in real life.

(I'm also noticing a lot of dark dots on the lid - does that polish out using an automotive buffer? Or do most folks just leave it?)

The white haziness is also behind where the lid endcaps cover the lid.

IMG_7870.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this white haziness? How have you removed this discoloration from the lid?

Some of that haziness is simply fading of the pigments in the glaze. BTW you cannot (or should not) repaint those lids. The finish is glazed basically fused glass to the metal. Not sure of the discoloration near the emblem. The black dots (not to be confused with fused surface grease) are most likely just a part of the porcelain glazing process

Try using 0000 steel wool and simple green, that's the preferred way to polish out the lids. Apply a liberal amount of simple green (Windex works also) and rub lightly with the steel wool. You will be surprised how well that works.

I have polished many a hood with simple green and #0000 steel wool. It works great. But on the inside, if you choose to clean all the carbon off that, you will probably want to go with a much coarser steel wool. I use house hold kitchen steel wool and have yet to noticeably mar the surface. That enamel is some hard stuff. But, I won't do that the outside. Just #0000 there.

I have a couple lids that have severe "oxidization" and the simple green and steel wool do nothing for it. I don't think there is any way to remove it. You may have some of the same "oxidization".

EQOBleo.jpg

Thanks for the responses, guys!

And yep, with a little more effort - Simple Green + 0000 steel wool made it much better.

Thanks!

Back