First time at Tailgate Comp - Logistics question.

Sandy K

Howdy folks, longtime lurker signed up to do a KCBS sanctioned Tailgate comp next month. My question is that this is a two meat comp, Chicken Thighs and St. Louis Ribs. I cook with a 22 WSM and a 22 Kettle. My question is: Do both meats on the WSM (not sure about logistics on how to do that) or do Ribs on WSM and Chicken on the Kettle. I have no problem bringing both but wanted to hear from the guys and gals that have done these type of cooks. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Disclaimer... I am not a competitor, but have been around a couple of teams...

If there is something that I would suggest, that would be this...

Given the short time before this comp, it's best to stick with methods you already use.

Wishing you BBQ Excellence in Bel Air !

Wouldn't the decision depend on turn in times and 'usual' times to cook each meat?

That may mandate two different smokers.

If I were competing, I'd bring two WSMs, just in case anyway.

But that's the former engineer in me.

Don't have the second WSM yet. Turn in times are 5 and 5:30 I believe. I am comfortable using the WSM and the Kettle but with the close turn in times I think doing the chicken on the Kettle and Ribs on the WSM may be easier. Just haven't been doing both meats on the WSM at the time. Although doing both on the WSM would seem easier.

Sandy, I'll stick with my statement. If you normally cook the chicken on the Kettle, continue doing so. If you normally cook your ribs on the WSM, continue to do so. It's far too late, practice wise, to change it up and still give yourself a fair chance.

I promise you... unless you have practiced (not just a single time) cooking both on the WSM, it is not easier...

Chicken cook time is far less than the rib cook time. SO, think about how you would need to cook the meat, especially WHICH meat is above the other. AND if there could be an issue with that.

What might work is the use of Cambro or a faux Cambro. Practice will still be needed if you have not been using this method normally.

Thanks Bob, I agree and will do the Chicken on my Kettle. I have much to learn but it's all fun... I will have a faux Cambo (cooler w/towels) to help with keeping warm. Appreciate the feedback.

Sandy,

Take this for what it's worth. Bob is right about it being a little late in the game to be making significant changes. Here are a few things that will help you out for this comp and anything you do going forward.

1. Build a timeline. We use a spreadsheet and adjust it as needed depending on the comp. Start wit arrival times, set up, meat inspection, adding rubs, lighting fires, meat on, spritz, sauce heating, the list goes on. Also build a list of everything you need.

2. Have a full practice cook at home but make sure that you make a rule that the only reason you can go inside is to use the bathroom. If you forgot something you cant use it. Write it down on your list so you won't forget it on comp day.

3. Review step one again and again and double check your list.

4. Practice, practice, practice.

We have made almost every mistake a team has made so I guess it makes me an expert in something. Remember that you can trim your meats at home and you should. The less you have to do at the comp the better off you will be. You can read about all our mistakes on our website. www.radfondobbq.com If you have any questions you can PM me or just tack onto this thread. Good Luck!

Mike

Back