I just ordered a 2.5 gallon salad spinner

I used it for the first time about an hour ago & I like it!

I'm pretty lazy usually with the lettuce - 95% of the time I'll just buy the heads of Red Leaf Lettuce, throw the produce bag with 2-3 of them in it in the fridge, and tear off what I want to use out of the bag & throw it in my 5 quart mixing bowl (I eat big salads :) ). I don't usually even rinse unless I feel grit or something, then I just run the handful under the sink, shake, & then into the bowl.

I tore up 2 heads of red leaf lettuce into bite size pieces, into the strainer that was in the bucket, then filled it halfway or more with cold water & swirled it around with my hands, & the wash water had a brown tint when I dumped it out of the bucket! I threw in some cauliflower, rinsed everything a second time & gave it a spin for 3-4 seconds, 2-3 times, pulling the strainer out of the bucket & just dumping the bucket.

Seems like it'll last & replacement parts popped up under google searches. The oxo I see was top rated @ America's test kitchen & that thing's a POS compared to this. I took the extra & am storing it in another 5qt pyrex bowl with a couple paper towels in it. Now I need to find a better container to store the lettuce.

Doggone it, Clint..... that link is gonna end up costing me a small pile. 48" natural wood mash paddle for less than $8? And a floating thermometer for only a few bucks?

Those restaurant stores (including Restaurant Depot) are awesome! I wound up with a 12" sashimi knife, a pizza peel with a 3' handle :), a bunch of pizza screens (from RD).

I've looked at Restaurant Depot before (and there's an outlet only a few miles away from the office.) Unfortunately, at least the brick & mortar outlet is wholesale only, and I have no reason to think the online site is any different.

I used to live west of Chicago, and got completely spoiled by a restaurant supply shop in Lisle. Now that I'm 300+ miles away...... I'm occasionally tempted to make a flying weekend run.

I have nothing here in Kalamazoo, for anyplace with selection I have to go to Chicago! Not that I mind a trip to Chicago but, having a decent restaurant supply place other than GFS would be very nice! I used to be a sales rep for a bakery bag company and I was in Chicago all the time and in supply places all the time too I picked up some great deals and met some nice folks! Hated the job, loved the territory.

I got spoiled by GFS when I was living outside of Chicago. It's good for quite a bit of the more run of the mill stuff.

At least in Kzoo you've got Bell's Brewing.

To some that would be golden, I've known Larry since he was brewing on his stove at home, guys in my band would stop at his place after a gig and get a growler now and then. I went to my place and lit a grill! Now, he's big business and doesn't acknowledge many of the paeans from back when time was young. He has done a lot of good for downtown Kalamazoo, do not get me wrong.

There was a HUGE place on the southeast side of Chicago that had ANYTHING BUT FOOD! Freezer to garbage disposers and trash cans, some of the best darned tongs I've ever bought! Knives, disposables, anything you could think of. I wish I could remember it's name, nice people.
There's a very fancy place in Milwaukee that was the "pretty version" of the same kind of place. Very nice, a tad more pricey but, if they didn't have it, they'd order it for you. Very pretty store!
I love those places.

Last edited:
That sounds a like what I remember as Schweppe's, on North Ave, just east of I-355, out in Lombard, IL. It's now known as City Food Equipment. They did have some food items, but the majority was commercial food hard goods and consumables.

Doggone it, Clint..... that link is gonna end up costing me a small pile. 48" natural wood mash paddle for less than $8? And a floating thermometer for only a few bucks?

Yup.... it's started. Ordered a 14" granton slicer, a 24" roll of butcher paper w/ holder..... and a couple of cases of Sriracha single-serve packets to send overseas.

Back