Thick Snake

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All Tried the snake method for 1st for an over night cook. Small 3 lb flat was done at 5:30 this morning. Shut all the vents down, it is now 8:30 and the WSM is still reading 207. What gives, I believe I closed all the leaks. Trying to post pics of the snake. Click on link when at photo bucket then click next for the other pic.
Thanks Dan

PS Don't know why I having sooo much trouble downloading the pics without the link?

Last edited:
Is it new? They have some leaks for the first few cooks. I clicked the link, it didn't work

Last edited:
Hi I was talking bout the cooling down stage. Closed all the vents, fire should be out and the unit cooling down.
Thanks Dan
Dan,

Which is why I said you "believe" you closed all the leaks. If there "were" no leaks, the fire would extinguish. Somewhere there was air flow. It doesn't take much. Also, just lifting a lid or opening the door will allow air to get in and keep coals "smoldering". A couple times I have forgotten to close my top vent (usually after too many beers) and I end up with ash. Otherwise, I usually have plenty of left over charcoal. :kingsford:

Dan,

Which is why I said you "believe" you closed all the leaks. If there "were" no leaks, the fire would extinguish. Somewhere there was air flow. It doesn't take much. Also, just lifting a lid or opening the door will allow air to get in and keep coals "smoldering". A couple times I have forgotten to close my top vent (usually after too many beers) and I end up with ash. Otherwise, I usually have plenty of left over charcoal. :kingsford:

Bingo. The coals are getting air from somewhere. If you're opening the lid to check on it, don't do that. If you're not opening the lid, air is getting in somewhere, probably around the door. I just put a gasket on mine to help seal it up better, and the smoker does cool off faster now. Check out my recent post on this issue: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70803-Normal-air-leak

It can still take a while for it to cool down though, especially this time of year.

Hi All You guys must be right about the air leaking in.. I'm not opening lid, just relying on my Maverick 732 for temps.
Might have replace the vents and see what happens.
Just wish it cool down faster.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:

Back