Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You hated it as a kid, but now...

TVWBB All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHeyl View Post
    You can readily do it in five days taking all secondary roads. If you have the time I highly recommend the latter. It's like the difference between watching a ball game on TV and actually being there in the stands.
    I'm a huge fan of taking the scondary roads as much as possible. Last Sunday I left the house at 7am for St. Louis and didn't get to the hotel until 6pm; normally it's a little over 5 hours on the interstates without a break, but this time I exited I-39 just north of Bloomington, IL and took US-66 all the way to Edwardsville. Stopped for an early lunch in Atlanta and made a few other 66-related stops along the way, and eventually had an early dinner in Waterloo, IL before wrapping things up for the day. I've also been making an annual trip to southern Ohio since 1999 and try to take the "blue highways" as much as possible.

TVWBB Olympian
    Considering where I grew up and how, there weren't much chances to just drive.
    but the trips we did take were memorable.
    the best for me were riding on my dads honda with sidecar to the beach. Whole family piled on. This was in the 50s on the island of yap.

Quote Originally Posted by George Curtis View Post
    Considering where I grew up and how, there weren't much chances to just drive.
    but the trips we did take were memorable.
    the best for me were riding on my dads honda with sidecar to the beach. Whole family piled on. This was in the 50s on the island of yap.
    I think we'd all like to see a picture of that!

<snip>

LA to Chicago takes four days by car on the interstate, assuming you're not vastly exceeding the speed limit and aren't spending an unsafe amount of time behind the wheel. You can readily do it in five days taking all secondary roads. If you have the time I highly recommend the latter. It's like the difference between watching a ball game on TV and actually being there in the stands.

My neighbor tells me about driving from UT to Indiana a couple times on his sportster, riding only secondary roads. Sounds like a nice road trip.. I don't mind the road, I always like the sunrises/sunsets, clouds, and most scenery... I just got a motorcycle with a windshield and would like to take a trip or two like that after I get things running smoothly again.

My old man - he'd like to just cruise up the canyon to see the leaves or whatever.....I didn't mind it but it was boring at the time. He had fun vehicles a lot of times, one time a station wagon, one sedan, but also a 1982 stingray (vette), and a 1100 cc 4cyl (4 cyl > 2 cyl motorcycle, no doubt) honda shadow. We're supposed to go see the Grand Canyon next weekend.....I hope I can make it.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    My neighbor tells me about driving from UT to Indiana a couple times on his sportster, riding only secondary roads. Sounds like a nice road trip.. I don't mind the road, I always like the sunrises/sunsets, clouds, and most scenery... I just got a motorcycle with a windshield and would like to take a trip or two like that after I get things running smoothly again.
    Once you get east of the Rockies a bit the scenery doesn't change all that much. Lots of flat with various crops growing and critters grazing. What I find most interesting through the plains and midwest are the things people have in their front yards. You need to be on the lookout and prepared to stop when you spot something of interest. There's a lot of strange and wonderful stuff out there.

If you haven't already, you should read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It's at least partly about a motorcycle trip across the plains.

If you haven't already, you should read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It's at least partly about a motorcycle trip across the plains.
    I will! thanks for the rec

Ahhh the old Sunday/Monday drive way back when. Pops would pop open a beer, put it between his legs, and tell us to get in the station wagon and off we would go.
    Big Bear, San Diego, Carmel, we never knew where we would end up. The best part, we always stopped for a tasty lunch somewhere, those were the days.
    Last edited by JeffG; 07-16-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    Bacon....the duct tape of the Gods.

There is a car that I loved for long trips that I would love to have back again. It was a 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. It was fun to drive on the two lanes and interstates, in the mountain twisties with the 5 speed and the turbo. It was a car that made me want to escape for a day,or 3 weeks. Would like to have it back again instead of a boring suv.

TVWBB Olympian
    yea, have an old black and white pic somewhere. not sure how or if I can get it on here now that pb has gone nuts.
    George
    Can't live without spam

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Curtis View Post
    yea, have an old black and white pic somewhere. not sure how or if I can get it on here now that pb has gone nuts.
    imgur (as do others) works well (once you figure out the controls ). Loads a lot faster and shows up wayyyy quicker than PB ever did.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast