Need a new waffle maker...

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
So, I went to make bacon waffles this morning (yes, they're a thing...and they're delicious) and it seems our waffle iron has kicked the bucket. It's one of those combo waffle iron/sandwich maker dealies, but we so rarely used the sandwich plates that I've decided we don't need that.
Now, my big decision is whether we go with another electric waffle maker or get a cast iron waffle maker like you'd use on a stove top. My brain is saying "go electric (boogie woogie woogie)" (it's strange like that), but my heart is saying "go cast iron." Actually, my heart should be saying "lay off the waffles...your arteries will thank you!"

So, does anyone out there have a cast iron waffle maker? They sure seem like more work to use, but really I'm the primary waffler maker in the house, and I think I'm willing to put in the effort. I'm pretty well-versed in the proper care and feeding of cast iron.

Cost-wise, it's about even (looking at the Cuisinart WMR-CA and the Rome #1100 cast iron, both are about ~$23 on Amazon).

My Son is the waffle maker and he has a rome CI that he likes. That non stick coating on the lectric ones breaks down over time, and you can't take that camping.:)

Tim

CI all the way. It'll need a bit of oil in the beginning but like all CI after it's seasoned, it's better than non-stick (which is the biggest lie I've ever heard :) )

I got a couple of these 1/2015 I think on jbessinger's recommendation.

They work well on a gas stove, not sure if they'd work on induction or glass top. It takes a little while to remember how to make them just right if it's been a while.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004W4UE/tvwb-20

71u4-nkcDnL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to have a waring pro but I loaned it out and I think they must've soaked it to clean - it never worked again. This cuisinart dual might be a good choice: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01IA3HJGG/tvwb-20

Not sure how you're supposed to heat-up the NordicWare Aluminum one (In the oven or on a stove-top burner?)
However, we have a couple of their Bundt Cake pans, and they work REALLY nicely.
Stuff falls right out with very little clean-up needed. So far, the non-stick coating that they use is holding-up really well

If I had a place to store one - I would get one of those round, commercial-type electric cast-iron ones that flips-over.
Like the ones you find at some hotel chains for their "free breakfast". They are nearly idiot-proof and seem to work nicely.

I have a Hamilton Beach that I've used for forty years, no breakdown of nonstick, I actually have a spare identical one that I don't think I have even fired up! I have no complaints about the electric one except, sometimes I'd like to have three of them at once!

Back