iGrill2 connection issues

Andy B in FL

Anyone have such problems? Any advice on solving it? After about an hour of smoking it disconnects from my iPhone/iPad and I have to restart the thermometer. Bluetooth range is about 30 feet line of sight - not 300. Weber has told me and other people to take the batteries out and put them back in to solve the problem, but it doesn't. Now I'm past the retailer's return window following their troubleshooting tips (I don't smoke every weekend). Weber also proudly recommended their second gen iGrill 2 for $85.

I've been looking at Heater Meter and this GrillEye thermometer. The fore is a little pricey compared to the latter and, while I love homebrew projects and Raspberry Pi, it is another thing I'd have to tinker with. The GrillEye is pretty turn key. Am I stuck buying something else?

I've found their customer service pretty helpful. The problem is really bluetooth technology just isn't meant for a lot of range. It's designed for things like headphones. The Grilleye uses bluetooth. I wouldn't go that route. To me the maverick or the Thermoworks smoke are more reliable. They don't have phone apps, (although theoretically thermoworks is supposed to come up with a separate wifi gadget that will be an extra 100 bucks but no word on when other than "summer 2017"). Heater Meter is more of a full blown ATC. I'm not an ATC guy, but the Heater Meter is super awesome and definitely the way I'd go if I did.

Thanks for your insight! I'm presently have my hobby budget pointed at expanding my kegerator, but I may go the Heater Meter route.

Bit late to reply Andy. I had an iGrill2. Quite excited when I got it, with the app an all that. Quickly realised its Achilles heal - its range. In my house with it set up in my WSM in the garden, lost the signal as soon as I stepped in doors. Not matter what I tried, same thing. When I researched into it, there's a lot of complaints about the range of this device, especially when the Weber adverts talk about setting it up, going watching TV, or even in one ad showing the cook down the pub!

I sent mine back and got a refund. Anyone else, don't buy one unless you like standing next to your bbq. :wsm:

PS get a Maverick instead.

Mine reaches my bedroom. My problem is it will disconnect and not warn you. That seems to me like a simple programming fix on the app. I wrecked a reverse sear on some nice steaks because the damn thing disconnected and no alarm went off when I reached my target temp. The temps on the home screen showed a lower temp than the real one. Now I haven't used the app in a while and they've updated it a few times since then. They may have fixed that part, again a simple programming fix. I get that there are limitations on Bluetooth range.

My house is built of re-constructed stone, walls. So the range was limited to me staying outside. Guess if you have a different construction, the range might be better. I see the UK Weber web site, now mentions 150' Line of sight connectivity.

Back