My irrational kettle upgrades.

Jon K in PNW

I bought a Weber mastertouch.

It bothers me that the grate on it isn't stainless steel, I also don't like the GBS system. I don't need a hole in the middle of my grill. So I ordered the stainless steel grate.

I also bought a Tel-Tru to replace the dome thermometer out of principle. It bothers me that the bi-metal thermometer it ships with is so inaccurate.

Neither of these upgrades actually do anything to change the cooking but they make me happy.

Now I'm looking longingly at a Slow n Sear. Is the plus version worth the extra cost?

I was ok with the factory grates but hate the idea of replacing them all the time. Ended up going with the cast iron Napoleon grate. The hinged sections are larger, enough where I can hot swap briquette holders fairly easily with a pair of tongs or easily roast potatoes etc in the coals by removing a side

I think I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of cast iron grates. I have GrillGrates on my gasser and stainless on my other grills.

I was ok with the factory grates but hate the idea of replacing them all the time. Ended up going with the cast iron Napoleon grate. The hinged sections are larger, enough where I can hot swap briquette holders fairly easily with a pair of tongs or easily roast potatoes etc in the coals by removing a side

Any pics of the setup

Now I'm looking longingly at a Slow n Sear. Is the plus version worth the extra cost?

I have the XL size, which has the Plus design but since that is the only model I have I do not have comparison data whereby I can suggest whether it is or is not worth the additional cost. I use it some but I won't say I cannot live without it. Nor am I convinced a "manual" setup could not yield very similar results. There exists a very active SnS group on Facebook where you could also possibly seek some guidance.

I'm not certain what prompts me to say this but if I were in a position where I had to choose between a SnS or a Vortex I'd opt for a Vortex without flinching.

I have the XL size, which has the Plus design but since that is the only model I have I do not have comparison data whereby I can suggest whether it is or is not worth the additional cost. I use it some but I won't say I cannot live without it. Nor am I convinced a "manual" setup could not yield very similar results. There exists a very active SnS group on Facebook where you could also possibly seek some guidance.

I'm not certain what prompts me to say this but if I were in a position where I had to choose between a SnS or a Vortex I'd opt for a Vortex without flinching.

What do you use the vortex for?

Any pics of the setup

I will hame some eventually... Still trying to figure out how to upload photos properly
What do you guys do that requires you to replace the grates often ?

Live down the block from salt water. It destroys everything very quickly. Soon as there is a nick or chip the rust fairy pays a visit and it spreads like smallpox. The lifespan on grills is appaling here. Sometimes within 2 or three years the frames are collapsing on Genesis and summits

What do you use the vortex for?

Wings. I always do my wings with the Vortex since discovering it earlier this year. Finally, a consistent crispy skin. Out of curiosity I used it once to do a pork shoulder but, admittedly, just use a WSM for shoulders. I've seen others on here grill their steaks with it, too.

Jon, there is no such thing as "Irrational Upgrades" it's "customization" and you never need to justify that! If people don't understand that it's YOUR grill and you want it the way you want it, let them go to Macdonalds, peons. Customization is the cool thing about grilling, you hone your set up in and then, it's a breeze to do anything!
I agree George, a lot of people seem to just blister through grates, if they really do buy them or grumble about them as much as they seem to.

Right now my irrational upgrade is looking for some upgraded SS performer castor's instead of stock Weber oem. Harbor freight has some to choose, have to check height fitment.

I just ordered a temp probe port to add to my kettle. I was surprised at how much smoke was leaking out from where the lid stepped on the cables.

I'm not trying to suggest you're wrong; I've been using a Kettle for a little over one year and just simply never understood the concept of adding a port. When I use a thermo probe sandwiched between the lid and bowl--which is not always--that leak is relatively constant. So if need be I could throttle the lid vent to compensate for it. And in the pics that I've seen thus far that port opening is not sealed. But I'm only about as sharp as a marble.

I thouoght about running it out of the lid vent, but I like being able to open the lid without dealing with the wires.

BFletcher isn't wrong either. There's a reason this is a thread about my irrational upgrades!

Yep, control the temp with the bottom vents. Thus anything "leaking" matters not.
I use two remotes when smoking and have never had temp control issues. Just remember that you should not and cannot micro manage the temps. Don't forget to foil the charcoal grate that is not being used. This helps with the temp control.

I'm a little puzzled I guess, you're talking about a kettle not a WSM right? If that's the case there isn't a second grate. I just take mine out unless I'm using it, why clean two if you're only using one?
I don't see foil acting as much of a heat shield, willing to hear the reasoning George but, I don't think that's the answer for this one.

Back