I think I stole her.....

Dan McCloskey

As promised here is the newest little lady in my life.
I believe her to be a 2004 Genesis Silver A set up for Natural Gas
35647321491_6a791b82df_z.jpg
[/url]Genesis Silver A 2 by Dan McCloskey, on Flickr[/IMG]
35647320441_f51d80cf20_z.jpg
[/url]Genesis Silver A 1 by Dan McCloskey, on Flickr[/IMG]
35738396486_cc5e0ee7ab_z.jpg
[/url]Genesis Silver A 3 by Dan McCloskey, on Flickr[/IMG]
35779358965_c6f961b20a_z.jpg
[/url]Genesis Silver A 5 by Dan McCloskey, on Flickr[/IMG]
35738394696_543aa8bee3_z.jpg
[/url]Genesis Silver A 4 by Dan McCloskey, on Flickr[/IMG]

I say stole her because she was only $20.00 from a college student at Penn State University main campus.
She does have a few issues such as
  • Only 2 flavorizer bars
  • Original style grate
  • Set up for natural gas

Is it the plan to convert to LP? By the time you buy a new LP manifold/flavorizer bars/better grates, it may no longer be quite the bargain.

Don't get me wrong...my Silver A was around that price point when I bought it, it ended up getting new FBs/igniter/drip pan/burners/stainless warming rack. It is a very nice grill, but I could have refurbed a 3-burner for less.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your refirb experience, that's why sites like this are so valuable.
My plan is to convert & restore it.
An LP regulator and 2 ofifices (drilled) are $40.00 shipped. As for the flavorizer bars and grate I am having a friend fabricate them from 300 series stainless. Raw materials are surprisingly inexpensive.
I agree that if it were any more than that then yes it would not be worth it. It's in fantastic shape, with very minimal rust (only on some of the bolts).

Be aware that converting it is NOT just 2 orifices as the valves are different too on LP vs NG models. So you will need a manifold. Though they can be had relatively easily however for that model may be a little more scarce. Whoever told you all you needed was just 2 orifices lied or did not know the first thing about Weber gas grills

LMichaels I have scoured the web looking for control valves for the Genesis Silver A, and have only been able to find 1 type (there are 2 options a bolt through, and a screw in- mine is a bolt through)
35776860506_2c4dfbd19c_m.jpg
[/url]weber-bolt-through-valve by Dan McCloskey, on Flickr[/IMG]
Can you give me any information on the valve used with NG? What are the differences in the LP and NG valve?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Look for some of my other posts for more details but basically this. Weber uses 2 different types of valves (this goes for NG as well as LP version). One type has a continuously variable control. IOW there is not a preset for low/med/high. The other type uses a 3 orifice control. with low/med/high ports. You cannot tell one from the other without disassembling the valve.
If you are lucky enough to have continuously variable type you're golden. No problems to simply change the orifice and you're done. If you have the fixed setting type the following will happen. If you have an LP grill and try to rejet it for NG you will need to install such a huge orifice to keep it working on low/med settings the grill will be dangerous at high setting. Or you can remove the internal valve cone and measure/then resize just the low/medium ports. I don't have sizes to actually give you. but basically opening them a couple thousandths seems to work well. IF you have NG valves and try to convert to LP the low and med settings will still basically burn nearly as hot as high setting. You'll have very little control. This is why when Weber sold a conversion "kit" it was ALWAYS a full manifold assembly.

Try inserting an trade inquiry on the buy, sell or trade forum. I found a guy in NY that had a NG and we traded valves and hoses and regulators.

Thank you for that suggestion! I may throw up the hose and orifices on the sell/swap.
I ordered parts from Majestic Grill parts - grill-repair.com out of FL. Awesome to deal with, prices were right, and free shipping.
I need to wire brush the cook box, and will clean up the warmer basket,plate as well. Hope to grill up some goodies real soon!

Thank you for that suggestion! I may throw up the hose and orifices on the sell/swap.
I ordered parts from Majestic Grill parts - grill-repair.com out of FL. Awesome to deal with, prices were right, and free shipping.
I need to wire brush the cook box, and will clean up the warmer basket,plate as well. Hope to grill up some goodies real soon!

You will need the whole valve assembly not just the orifices and also the LP regulator.

good Luck!

Well I finally got this done. I replaced the 2 natural gas orifices with 2 LP orifices, added the new regulator hose assembly, and reassembled the grill.
The valves did not need to be replaced.
I tested the temperature and here are the numbers.
Low setting 300*
Medium setting 490*
High setting 590*
I cooked a grill full of steaks, and it was awesome!!
I have $60.00 total in the grill thus far. I will upgrade to stainless grill and flavorizer bars when the price is right.

Your low and medium are too high. If you want to live with it that's cool but you do not have the range you should have on a properly functioning grill

The low range should be about 50 to 75 deg lower and the medium about 75 to 100 deg lower. I tried explaining this about converting from NG to LP. Not sure if it was your thread or elsewhere. Weber has made sure conversion is not "that simple". It's not like the grill will explode or anything you just don't have the full range of temps you should have without resorting to fewer burners is all. Going the other way though LP to NG it can be dangerous because the valves for LP do not flow sufficient fuel to support combustion yet the fuel will still flow and could cause an unwanted fuel explosion. This is why when Weber actually did support the proper conversion process they only did it by the sale of the full manifold not by use of other orifices as some other makers do. From a safety standpoint going from NG to LP this way is fine if you can live with lack of control. However from a safety aspect going from LP to NG with only the use of new orifices can be extremely dangerous and I cannot stress that enough

I should note I had both burners going at once. I would imagine I can get lower temps using one burner.
Overall I'm happy with it, and will monkey with the temps as I use it more.

I should note I had both burners going at once. I would imagine I can get lower temps using one burner.
Overall I'm happy with it, and will monkey with the temps as I use it more.

I assumed that. Like I indicated you're in no danger other than lack of temp control for some types of cooking. If it was the other way than yes it is dangerous (ha, you can even ask me how I figured this out too).

Look for some of my other posts for more details but basically this. Weber uses 2 different types of valves (this goes for NG as well as LP version). One type has a continuously variable control. IOW there is not a preset for low/med/high. The other type uses a 3 orifice control. with low/med/high ports. You cannot tell one from the other without disassembling the valve.
If you are lucky enough to have continuously variable type you're golden. No problems to simply change the orifice and you're done. If you have the fixed setting type the following will happen. If you have an LP grill and try to rejet it for NG you will need to install such a huge orifice to keep it working on low/med settings the grill will be dangerous at high setting. Or you can remove the internal valve cone and measure/then resize just the low/medium ports. I don't have sizes to actually give you. but basically opening them a couple thousandths seems to work well. IF you have NG valves and try to convert to LP the low and med settings will still basically burn nearly as hot as high setting. You'll have very little control. This is why when Weber sold a conversion "kit" it was ALWAYS a full manifold assembly.

LMichaels, I would like to see what the continuously variable valves look like internally versus the 3 orifice control valve looks like. If I post some photos of what I believe are CV and L/M/H, could you confirm one way or the other?

Be happy to. Though once you see them it's very obvious. Fixed valves have 3 distinct openings and stops. CV valves do not. Most of the mid generation Summit grills (i.e. when they went to lettering models) have them

Back