22.5" Model: Permanently Attaching Bottom Bowl to Cylindrical Mid-section?

JMark

I have an 18" WSM, and I've cooked a lot of very good food on it. I really like it.

However, I'm about to buy a 22.5" WSM because I want the bigger size. I very much wish I had bought the 22.5" model to begin with. The 18" is great, but for me it's limited due to size for the meat selections and volumes I now cook.

Anyway, I want to add the after-market lid hinge to the 22.5" model. And I've read that when open, the lid weight and resultant torque can cause the 22.5" model to tilt at the joint between the bottom bowl and the cylindrical mid-section. And that's unacceptable for me. It sounds entirely possible, and dangerous as well.

So I was wondering, has anyone permanently attached the bottom bowl to the cylindrical mid-section? I've seen the Cajun Bandit clamp system, but I don't like the clamp-on, clamp-off (Karate Kid, anyone?) nature of that. It seems like it would be a lot of wear and tear on the WSM clamping and unclamping for years to come.

I know there are logistical problems with permanently attaching the bottom bowl to the cylindrical mid-section, but I have really long arms and could deal with the long reach.

Anyone?

Thanks

Last edited:
I run a 22.5 with the top hinged with a foiled, empty water pan. Absolutely NO problems. Just follow the directions...

Ditto what Bob said. I just used mine this weekend with out issue. When I cleaned it out I had the middle section and lid on the concrete with the lid up and no issues with tipping over in that arrangement either.

I always make certain that the hinge is directly above one of the 'legs' and have not had any problems with instability.

I knocked mine over last weekend by opening the lid too quickly. I hadn't yet loaded any meat or water to offset the torque. My plan is to put small eye-bolts in the barrel and legs and use a dog leash or screen door like clasp between them. Should be quick to hook and unhook.

Darren.... Did you have the hinge directly over one of the legs on your 22.5" WSM when you had your issue this last weekend ?

Actually I didn't pay attention to the leg orientation. That may have helped. The biggest influence I had was an empty cook chamber. No weight to offset the lid. I'll test with the leg orientation to see what affect it has.

I've had the hinge installed for several years now with no problems . . . but I always make sure it's directly over one of the legs.

BD

Could you put a stone in the heat shield?

Media.ashx

This is a stone for bird bath

Last edited:
I have ceramic briquettes in my water pan and love the way my WSM 22 cooks.

I just cover it with foil before each use for easy cleanup.

Cajun Bandit makes a set of clips that attach the base and center section together.

Yeah, not only do they have the "Cylinder Lock" and wheel set, but now they even sell a hinge. Based on the look and the verbiage, I'm betting they have a contract with Unknown BBQ to market the hinge for them (also CB gets to mark it a little).

BD

I've seen the middle section shift off the bottom on a lot of them especially when theres a hinge. I Just installed the CB clamps and they are solid, you can pick it up from the mid section, shake it and the bottom's not going anywhere. Theres a nut to keep the legs on even when the clamp is loose so no issue with the legs either.
It's very useful being able to remove the midsection for doing reverse sears with the grill right on the coals to finish off steaks and tri tips etc.
I'm going to order another one now. I wanted to test it before buying two of them.
ps, I didn't get their wheels because seems simple enough to just drill through the bottom legs and install some

I know, old thread.
But FWIW, I think permanently attaching the cylinder to the bottom section would make everything to do with the charcoal completely unacceptable.
Between cooks I turn the cylinder upside down on the base so the bottom doesn't fill up with water.

Back