Spirit E-210 LP (2009) restoration

Philip

I'm a new member here, but I'm not new to Weber grills.

I've been a fan of Weber grills since I was a teenager in the mid-90s (I know; that's a weird thing to be a fan of at that age). When we built our first house back in 2008, my father gave us the Weber grill we used for years prior. Fast forward to late last year, we were given another Weber grill from my father; this time, it was a kettle version. Our kids don't like the taste of charcoal-cooked food, so we sold it. That brings me to my current project.

A neighbor was getting rid of her 2009-era Spirit E-210, and she gladly let me take it off of her hands. I did a quick search online for how to restore a Weber grill, and that brought me here. Hours after falling down the rabbit hole of threads on here, I was set on restoring the grill.

The grill was never registered, so I registered it under my name. I've purchased several replacement parts from eBay, including the Weber stainless steel Flavorizer bars, stainless steel grates (third-party, not rcplanebuyer), new burners (returning; see below), and a new regulator hose (returning; see below).

Once I started reading over the warranty for the grill, I noticed that I might be able to get some stuff replaced under warranty. After speaking with Weber customer service, I ordered a new manifold assembly (with regulator hose), and they are replacing the burners under warranty.

One of the bolts that attaches the manifold to the cook box was seized inside the cook box and broke off. I contacted Weber again to see if they would replace it under warranty, to which they said they would. Awesome! I've since removed the seized bolt and cleaned most of the debris out of it using an angle grinder with a wire cup brush attached, but I no longer need to work on that part. I don't see a need to keep the lower box, so if someone in DFW needs it, send me a PM.

Once the cook box comes in next week, I'll reassemble everything and will be ready to cook!

I'll upload picture soon.

Sounds like you got a good candidate for rehabbing. For sure post up some photos when you get it done.

The cookbox came in early (yesterday), so my son and I will put it back together today. They also included a new ignition assembly, which was a surprise.

A couple of days ago, I removed the back panel from the base and trashed it, as the bottom of it was badly rusted. Upon doing so, I saw that one side near a caster is also pretty bad. It's not unusable, and it will probably be fine for a couple of years, but I may order a new frame assembly in the near-ish future. They are about $130, which is pretty expensive.

Philip. Just keep your eyes on craigslist in your area. People either sell those grills cheap or sometimes free for curb pickup. Just look for one with a good frame. Also, you can get those caster wheels pretty cheap at a lot of big box home improvement stores. Menards in my area sells them in packs of 5 for under $10. For some reason, nearly every grill I have picked up for refurbishing and reselling has had those caster wheels that are froze up for some reason. If they were metal, I would understand it with rust, but they are plastic and I don't understand why the freeze up like they do.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...266041516146360687&ipos=3&bargainStoreId=3190

After disassembling the entire thing, cleaning the hell out of it, and replacing most of the components (i.e., cook box, burner assembly, manifold assembly, regulator, igniter, Flavorizer Bars, warming rack, and grates), it's back from the dead.

Bring on all of the meats.

8Sz8Rqg.jpg

TJTisxD.jpg

MhiKpJq.jpg

You've got basically a new grill. Looks great. I just picked up a 2007 Spirit E210 LP that my neighbor was going to take to the dump. It's filthy but in good condition going to restore it and give it to my son.

Yah, sounds like you replaced everything but the hood and frame. But it is basically a brand new grill now and with premium parts. Good job on it.

Hey, can someone tell me what the little round holes on the ends of the flavo bars are for?

They're for production. When they produce a plain steel one (same stamping machines) they have to put a hanger in the hole to hang it to spray the porcelain on it

OK, that makes sense. I was standing there wondering if they should all be the left side or the right side:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the kind words on the work I did. I'm pleased with it and am excited about using it!

Are there any specific models that I should look for on the used market to source a replacement frame? I assume the same era Spirit E-310 would work (I've not yet looked at its dimensions).

No, I dont think a 310 would work. They have a much larger cookbox, hence a larger frame.

I found a local person with my same grill. They're asking $200 but said they'd take $125. I explained that I'm only looking to buy it for the frame, and that I understood if my offer of $50 was too low for them. I told them to reach out if they still haven't sold it after a while.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/6210612236.html

What would a fair price be on a grill like this?

Phillip, dont get too anxious about doing this project. I found a similar grill that was FREE. Plus, it came with a new igniter and a new set of flavorizer bars still in the box. The flavo bars were for a Genesis B grill so I just transfered them to one of my Genesis B's. I rehabbed the free grill and have it for sale now.

Here is a photo of the grill when I picked it up (I had removed the hood for transport):

JLbr02n.jpg

and here it is after refurbing it and putting on Craigslist: https://madison.craigslist.org/for/6172719273.html

If you can get it for $50, fine, but I wouldn't go any more than that. And make sure that frame isn't toast as well.

Can you post some pics of the part of the cabinet/frame that you are concerned about ? Maybe there are some other options available.

I just got back from picking up another 2009-era E-210. This one has a much better frame, so I'll be swapping it out today on my personal grill. I'll then clean the donor grill up and will flip it.

This one was only $50 and came with a tank. It needs some cleanup, and I'll see how the warranty-covered items are.

Phillip, I was told by Weber that warranties are not transferable, so if you claim under warranty and tell them you bought it used, you won't get much love from them.

Swapped the frame, Stainless steel table cover (has all markings in tact and the Spirit logo), and drip pan and drip pan holder to mine yesterday. Spent several hours disassembling both grills and reassembling.

Sold the donor grill today for $100, so got the parts I needed and made an extra $50 on top. The new owners got a good deal on a quality grill, too, so that made me happy.

Back