How long are smoked leftovers safe for?

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
I smoked on Sunday the 2nd. It's now Thursday the 6th.

I have a little bit of pulled pork remaining as well as three chicken leg quarters. Four days out now, they smell fine. They've been in the fridge, of course. I was planning on eating some today, but wanted to check in to see what y'all thought.

Hi Troy, you'll find all sorts of information about storage and food safety here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/storing.html#standup

In that article, Chris says, "According to the USDA FSIS, cooked meat can be refrigerated safely for 3-4 days. For storage longer than four days, cooked meat should be frozen."

That sounds safe to me...but I'm not safe. I've gone much longer than that. :eek:

That sounds safe to me...but I'm not safe. I've gone much longer than that. :eek:

As do I. After all, who doesn't take fried chicken on a picnic? Sometimes, it sits out of the cooler for an hour or two. IMO, with your's being refrigerated all this time, Sunday should be your last day (or freeze it NOW).

And if you freeze it, then when defrost it the day of eating :) .

Last edited:
My smoked chicken and pork last well beyond 4 days in the fridge, but I do recommend freezing any excess if you plan to keep them longer than that. Chicken parts are usually gone within a week of so, here, but pork butt gets divided and frozen quickly.

I also recommend a fridge thermometer, and be sure to place it on the lower shelf.

Last edited:
Our fridge sits at 35F and once cooked, I'll often leave meat up to a week.

Thanks, everybody!

Finished off the chicken quarters earlier. Hit the spot. I didn't want it to waste, because it was darn good and filling.

I follow the rule that we used when I was an Army cook many moons ago. 3 days tops. That goes for fresh food to be cooked or leftovers. Sorry. that was the rule for 6 years of my life and it seemed like a good one to follow 30+ years later.

Back in the day, folks smoked meat to preserve it because of the lack of refrigeration.
Yea I know we're not talking jerky, but that kiss of smoke has to add a few more days then cooking fresh meat on the grill.:wsm:

Tim

For me, I bag up leftovers the day after eating the first meal. I bag (vacuum sealed) at 1# each and freeze it. When I want something I'm only exposing 1# to a thaw and re-heat.

Heating is simple, drop the bags in cool water and boil to the point where you think it's at a good eating temp. I push a probe into the top of the bag above the water line. When it's done it's time to eat.

I follow the rule that we used when I was an Army cook many moons ago. 3 days tops. That goes for fresh food to be cooked or leftovers. Sorry. that was the rule for 6 years of my life and it seemed like a good one to follow 30+ years later.

Wish you'd have been the cook for my Company Phil. What stands out in my memory was Liver Day, I believe on Thursdays. I have a hard time eating liver to this day. I keep remembering that green meat once sliced.

Cliff, I actually have a funny (not really) Army chow liver story! The mess sergeant in Korea LOVED liver and onions. He was the one in 300 who did. And he always had us cook 2 boxes of liver, so 50 servings. Yuck! Needless to say, we had about 48 servings left! So, the next day, he cooked up a beautiful brown gravy, sauteed some peppers and onions, and sliced the liver into strips, which he then added to the beautiful gravy and pepper mixture! Again, yuck! He put on the menu board that it was "Pepper Steak"!
Wow, the sheer number of complaints was astounding! But when the Sergeant major ordered it, and tried it, he chewed the mess sergeant out in front of EVERYONE! Needless to say, SFC Munoz did NOT do that again!

Back