Newbie question - 3 beeps

AlanfromToronto

Hey Everyone - just trying to get this working for the first time.

When I plug in the board with just the Pi and the base board, it seems to boot and I have no issues. When I attach the LCD assembly, I get 3 beep then pause for a second and then it repeats. After the PI boots up it then reboots and just keeps cycling.

Any pointers?

The beeps are the HeaterMeter itself rebooting, it typically chirps as the buzzer is initialized. It might stop because whatever part isn't right is probably overheating and going into thermal protection, then cools down and repeats. Seems like a short somewhere on the LCD board. Check your board against this without it powered:

All the gray should connect to GND and nothing else. All the Red should connect to 5V and nothing else. The pink and 5- and 0+ pins should not be connected to 5V or GND. Also verify that your BS170's 3 pins are not connected to each other.

You can also feel around for a part getting hot but I would advise against running it too long like that because eventually that part is going to melt and stop working altogether.

Back