WSCG - Fire coming around diffuser plate

Mark Wein

The title says it all. I've noticed I've been getting flames around the plate. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? These flames throw off my low and slow cooking and are not welcome
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Are you using minion method to light your coals? Maybe use the method where you put your lit coals in the middle. I'm thinking you are starting with too many lit coals and your vents are too open.

NO minion method. I have the summit so all charcoal is lit in the round base. I keep vents on smoke setting

I guess I'll have to find instructions on that grill. I'm sure there are people more qualified to talk about it than I am (that actually have the grill). My suggestion would be to use minion method on it. Basically, add unlit charcoal in the bottom and then add maybe 12 lit coals. The unlit charcoal will slowly light during the cook and will give long burn times at a low temperature. There's a guy on youtube with a channel called baby back maniac who has done some nice videos using that cooker. I think he may just put the unlit charcoal in and light it using a weber starter cube.

I guess I'll have to find instructions on that grill. I'm sure there are people more qualified to talk about it than I am (that actually have the grill). My suggestion would be to use minion method on it. Basically, add unlit charcoal in the bottom and then add maybe 12 lit coals. The unlit charcoal will slowly light during the cook and will give long burn times at a low temperature. There's a guy on youtube with a channel called baby back maniac who has done some nice videos using that cooker. I think he may just put the unlit charcoal in and light it using a weber starter cube.
Thank you very much

Yea, me three. Where are the flames coming from ? Did you add chunk wood for smoking ? If so and they are flaming then you have way to much oxygen.

Yea, me three. Where are the flames coming from ? Did you add chunk wood for smoking ? If so and they are flaming then you have way to much oxygen.

yes during smoking - there is a metal diffuser plate over the charcoal on the summit
the flames are coming around this

Back