Wings on WSM?

steveD

TVWBB Fan
Hi all, I have only used my WSM a few times so I'm still learning how to control it a bit. I cooked wings on it for the second time last night, and for the second time I was underwhelmed with the results. I usually do them on my 22.5" OTS at around 400-425 degrees, but last night I had too many wings to fit on the grill so I used the WSM. I lit 2.5 chimneys full of coals - 1 chimney of lump and 1.5 chimneys of KBB and ran with the vents wide open. When I initially added the last of the chimneys of coals the temp peaked at a little under 350 degrees, but it ended up settling in around 275 degrees after I put the wings on and ran at that temp constantly for the entire cook. All of the vents were wide open and free of obstructions. Does anyone have any ideas for how to get it to run hotter? I had the water pan in place and covered with foil, but it is empty. I plan to try running it with the water pan out next time to get a bit more direct heat, but I'm not sure if that is going to make enough of a difference to crisp up the skin. The wings I made last night weren't terrible - they had good flavor, were very juicy and tender but the skin was kind of soggy - not rubbery, but not crispy at all.

Maybe cook them on the wsm, but finish them over hot fire to crisp the skin?
(take the middle and top section of the wsm and put the grid straight on the bottom section).

Alternatively, you can try and leave the door open to make the wsm run hotter, but if it is only the skin, I would go for crisping it

Chuck, you have any problems with the heat making the fire grate sag? I have some old hickory sticks that should fit the bill.

Chuck's solution is kinda radical but it sure looks like fun.

Taking out the water pan altogether will help some but probably won't be enough by itself. First, I find it's easier to get high temps using lump instead of briquettes. What you really need, though, is more air flow. The single lid vent really isn't enough by itself. Often all you have to do is shift the lid a bit so it doesn't mate with the center section quite the way it was designed to. Some people stick a skewer between the lid and the center section to create a small space.

Another school of though involves cracking the door a bit and if you search here a bit you'll see some clever ways to make that easier. If you do all of the above you can easily get 450+ deg F.

Thanks for the replies all. I thought about cracking the door but I was afraid it would let the heat out as much as it would help with airflow. I'll give that a try next time.

Back