Revitalize Stale Smoke Wood?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hi all,

A friend told me recently that stale smoke wood can be revitalized by soaking it in water. Is that remotely possible? Chris posted an article about soaking wood chunks, and how the moisture content collected around the edges only, but wonder what would happen if wood chunks were kept submerged for a week or longer?

It's not the wetness I am looking for, it's the aroma I'm hoping to revitalize.

I dunno, I buy fresh stuff every other year:wsm:

Tim

My stash (hickory) is about 18 months old, and the chunks I stored on the enclosed porch held up OK, but the wood stored outside in trash cans didn't fare so well.

One thing I noticed after submersing a piece of hickory and a piece of apple in the same bucket is that the hickory bobbed halfway out of the water, while the apple (newer stuff) was almost completely underwater. That might be like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak, but I wonder if moisture content played a role in how high the wood floated - or sank.

I don't worry about it as long as it isn't punky and rotten.

Neither did I until I tried fresh cut hickory (seasoned a bit) with pork butts. The difference was quite noticeable, and it got me rave reviews from folks that liked (and did not like) BBQ from local restaurants. My butts were rubbed of course too.

Back