NY Times Best Hot Dog

Nathan's skinless beef franks won in an article like this I read a couple months back....I got some but wasn't impressed.

I've been wanting to get some polish sausages from Costco to see if they're as good as I remember.

The ones from Costco that I really liked were Hebrew National. True to form with Costco, they don't carry them anymore, at least not our Costco.

America's Test Kitchen proclaimed Nathan's their winner a short time ago. Pammi and I really like tghem. They're what I use to break in all my grills!

Nathan's dogs, while not the worst I've eaten, are not what I would consider a top dog. Hebrew National is very good, but I am surprised they left out dogs from Hofmann's and Sahlen's. Both of these are popular New York brands. I have some in the fridge right now, and either of these are better than Nathan's in my humble opinion.

I live in a 90-95% organic / non-gmo household and as a result, have stopped buying all the major brands. Prior to this, boars head were my dogs of choice. For a while we went with applegate, but the over abundance of salt was the deal breaker. My current all time favorite are pat lafreida brand, which still have a few questionable ingredients but are still better than the big names. They sell at my local supermarket for half the price of the website, 7.99 lb vs 16.25 online but are amazing natural casing dogs

Good reminder Bob - I went through a read the whole thing again - guess who wants a hot dog now?

Pretty sure Casper's is a western US product, but can be mail ordered. They're easy to get here in the SF Bay Area...I tried them, but I prefer a skinless hot dog.

How do they mail fresh food anyway? Dry ice?

I was entertaining thoughts about shipping BBQ through the mail.

How do they mail fresh food anyway? Dry ice?

Here's what they say:

To guarantee product freshness, orders will be filled Monday thru Wednesday and shipped via UPS 2nd Day Air. Orders received Thursday to Sunday will be shipped that following Monday. Product is not shipped outside the United States or to P.O. boxes. Orders are processed in 1-2 business days (excluding holidays or weekends).

Product is shipped cold in a re-usable, insulated container. Product should be refrigerated as soon as it is received.

I assume a cold pak of some kind, probably not dry ice.

I'd almost bet the postal service doesn't get involved with fresh (or cooked) meat. Looks like UPS may be the way to go.

Thanks for posting, Chris. I may order a few of those dogs in the future.

I normally just get the cheapest dogs available at the time. I guess my palate just doesn't care. This usually means oscar meyers mixed mest dogs. For all beef I let my wife choose.

Back