Using both WSM racks (top/bottom) to make 6 Racks of Ribs? HELP !!!

Ryan.M

All,

I need to make 6 racks of ribs today and i really enjoyed the Basic Rib Recipe on VWB - http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib4.html .

If i want to use the bottom rack can I? Do i need to alot more time or water, etc...

So it would 3 (as pictured in the recipe) and 3 on the bottom rack as well.

I would like to do all 6 at he same time.

Thanks again for any help in advance.

Ryan, I did 8 racks on my 22 WSM 2 years ago. 4 on top 4 on bottom. I don't run water in my pan so not sure there. I recall from my notes that the cooking time was about the same as when I do a couple racks flat. 3 hours, foil 1 hour, 1 hour no foil. The only thing in my notes was to get the cooker closer to 300 when putting that much meat on since I lost 30 degrees. I ussaly cook ribs at 275. As for coal I fill it up all the way and use the minion method. Extra charcoal gets recycled for kettle cooks, so not sure if it used more coals or not. Hope this helps...

Either use a rib rack (for 4 slabs on top) or put the 3 smaller ones on the bottom grate.

The top ones should cook (reach done temp) faster, but the smaller one will also cook faster than larger ones.

I added a 3rd grate to mine. By Weber's specs a 3rd rack adds over 300 sq inches taking it to over 1000 sq in. so I can smoke more flat foods.

Back