Picked up a donor grill... and now am having second thoughts about parting it

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
I've been looking for another lid and a right-side flip up table for my Silver B and I found a Genesis Gold B with a decent stainless lid today. It was cheap because the bottom shelf rotted out and the owner had "reinforced" the legs using aluminum bar stock on 2 of the 4 legs.

It doesn't have the right-side flip up table, but it does have the trim piece on the right that will let me hang the flip up table.... BUT... I'm not sure if this grill deserves to be parted. More on this in a bit...

Here's how I found it:

34873008943_086cdf1818_b.jpg

You can't tell from all that grime, but those are the original stainless grates. The FBs appear to be the original stainless ones too.

35513125732_5d989836b2_b.jpg

Who in their right mind would buy a grill with this kind of rust-through??? :p

34873009103_9169a102df_b.jpg

I yanked that shelf off, to find that the lower frame pieces are missing the "guide pins" to connect to the upper frame (which also explains the need for the aluminum bar stock)

35642767706_0bfba755ad_h.jpg

35643766496_e27110a9ab_o.jpg

Does anyone have a suitable part number for the wire basket bottom shelf that should work here? This one, for example:

35552254901_6b9c562478_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, DaveW!

The only vendor that has it in stock is ereplacementparts (for around $40), but they want almost $60 to ship it!

Did you call Weber?

Thanks again... gave them a call, and they confirmed that 60145 would work for what I was trying to do and it's available for $38.70+tax plus $7 flat rate shipping.

I ordered some other parts at the same time.

I was able to find the 2 used lower frame pieces locally to go along with the new wire shelf basket. The cracked work table and flip up table were also replaced with used pieces. I was just about to button it up yesterday, only to find that the firebox had a giant hole in it(!@#$). To make things worse, I just threw out a good condition firebox a couple of weekends ago....

But then things turned for the better as I was the first to respond to an offer of a free Genesis 2005 Silver B grill that was rusted out. I've never seen such a rusty specimen, but the firebox was intact. I put it together using the 2005 lid and firebox. It doesn't look half bad:

35787395656_511ed47d00_o.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to find the 2 used lower frame pieces locally to go along with the new wire shelf basket. The cracked work table and flip up table were also replaced with used pieces. I was just about to button it up yesterday, only to find that the firebox had a giant hole in it(!@#$). To make things worse, I just threw out a good condition firebox a couple of weekends ago....

But then things turned for the better as I was the first to respond to an offer of a free Genesis 2005 Silver B grill that was rusted out. I've never seen such a rusty specimen, but the firebox was intact. I put it together using the 2005 lid and firebox. It doesn't look half bad:

35787395656_511ed47d00_o.jpg

That's great. I believe that there is a lot of good karma for combining two grills which are towards the end of their lives and making one which should last another 20 years. Keeps landfills a little less empty, saves raw materials required to build a new one, saves cash ... so much good. Well done!

Frankengrill!

I like those black knobs. I haven't seen those before.

What happened with the stainless hood? That looked pretty interesting. I hadn't seen one of those before either.

Frankengrill!

I like those black knobs. I haven't seen those before.

What happened with the stainless hood? That looked pretty interesting. I hadn't seen one of those before either.

It sits atop what used to be a perfectly decent silver B

35439346510_1881169b04_o.jpg

Welp... that last configuration didn't last very long..... I found a natural gas 3-burner with a green lid earlier in the week and made arrangements to go pick it up. Unfortunately, I ended up parting it out because the firebox had holes, but it yielded some good parts like an extra rotisserie bracket and the entire set of natural gas components.

35905579966_27e5eb4d23_b.jpg

For what I paid, the green lid itself was worth its price. The green lid is now on the Gold B and it cleaned up really nicely. I also added black end caps to the grill frame and hung the 2nd flip-up table on the right. Other than the lid, this is more or less the original configuration:

35558124490_b719971d70_h.jpg

Edited again... I ended up putting the stainless lid back on the Gold B:

35240007713_e7b08033c8_h.jpg

Last edited:
Hi DaveW, don't remember which post but I saw that you have contact info for rcplanebuyer who sells replacement grills, flavorizer bars, etc. Can you send me a message with his info?
Thank you!

Hi DaveW, don't remember which post but I saw that you have contact info for rcplanebuyer who sells replacement grills, flavorizer bars, etc. Can you send me a message with his info?
Thank you!

HI Lisa, just sent you his contact info via private message

I came across a Gold C with a rusted bottom shelf that was being given away for free and drove 45 minutes to get it. The upper frame was trash but I got LOTS of good parts out of it, like the SIDE BURNER, 2 round work tables, 2 round swing tables, the igniter assembly for the side burner etc etc:

36850870531_1711438a83_o.jpg

I lubed the manifold valves on the donor grill before I swapped out the manifold. The side burner dropped right in and fired up on the first try, and I swapped out the left side work table for a round one:

36197263134_8cf41512e8_b.jpg

Yep, it is tough to give up on a grill, but sometimes one grill has to die so that others can live. A good donor grill can worth a lot of money in spare parts.

Back