Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a donor grill... and now am having second thoughts about parting it

Picked up a donor grill... and now am having second thoughts about parting it

I've been looking for another lid and a right-side flip up table for my Silver B and I found a Genesis Gold B with a decent stainless lid today. It was cheap because the bottom shelf rotted out and the owner had "reinforced" the legs using aluminum bar stock on 2 of the 4 legs.

It doesn't have the right-side flip up table, but it does have the trim piece on the right that will let me hang the flip up table.... BUT... I'm not sure if this grill deserves to be parted. More on this in a bit...

Here's how I found it:

You can't tell from all that grime, but those are the original stainless grates. The FBs appear to be the original stainless ones too.

Who in their right mind would buy a grill with this kind of rust-through??? :P

I yanked that shelf off, to find that the lower frame pieces are missing the "guide pins" to connect to the upper frame (which also explains the need for the aluminum bar stock)

Does anyone have a suitable part number for the wire basket bottom shelf that should work here? This one, for example:

Last edited by JKim in MA; 07-09-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold B, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: 1998 Spirit 900

TVWBB All-Star
    Weber #60145 Wire rack

That might work.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

Thanks, DaveW!

The only vendor that has it in stock is ereplacementparts (for around $40), but they want almost $60 to ship it!

TVWBB All-Star
    Did you call Weber?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Did you call Weber?
    Thanks again... gave them a call, and they confirmed that 60145 would work for what I was trying to do and it's available for $38.70+tax plus $7 flat rate shipping.

I ordered some other parts at the same time.

I was able to find the 2 used lower frame pieces locally to go along with the new wire shelf basket. The cracked work table and flip up table were also replaced with used pieces. I was just about to button it up yesterday, only to find that the firebox had a giant hole in it(!@#$). To make things worse, I just threw out a good condition firebox a couple of weekends ago....

But then things turned for the better as I was the first to respond to an offer of a free Genesis 2005 Silver B grill that was rusted out. I've never seen such a rusty specimen, but the firebox was intact. I put it together using the 2005 lid and firebox. It doesn't look half bad:

Last edited by JKim in MA; 07-09-2017 at 07:18 PM.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Nice work, looks good
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKim in MA View Post
    I was able to find the 2 used lower frame pieces locally to go along with the new wire shelf basket. The cracked work table and flip up table were also replaced with used pieces. I was just about to button it up yesterday, only to find that the firebox had a giant hole in it(!@#$). To make things worse, I just threw out a good condition firebox a couple of weekends ago....

But then things turned for the better as I was the first to respond to an offer of a free Genesis 2005 Silver B grill that was rusted out. I've never seen such a rusty specimen, but the firebox was intact. I put it together using the 2005 lid and firebox. It doesn't look half bad:

That's great. I believe that there is a lot of good karma for combining two grills which are towards the end of their lives and making one which should last another 20 years. Keeps landfills a little less empty, saves raw materials required to build a new one, saves cash ... so much good. Well done!
    (Genesis 1200 Platinum Series - Green, to be sold once the 1000 is restored) (Genesis 1000 RedHead 1991 with smoker and rotisserie conversion): WANTED

Frankengrill!

I like those black knobs. I haven't seen those before.

What happened with the stainless hood? That looked pretty interesting. I hadn't seen one of those before either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Frankengrill!

I like those black knobs. I haven't seen those before.

What happened with the stainless hood? That looked pretty interesting. I hadn't seen one of those before either.
    It sits atop what used to be a perfectly decent silver B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast