HM No Longer Connects at Boot

Karl Tinsley

I have had my HM4.3 working great for several weeks now. I did a 20-hour cook yesterday and everything went well, until the very end, when I suddenly couldn't monitor anything from the web page anymore. I checked my router's client page, and it said that the HM was offline. I don't know why it happened, but I figured cycling the power would fix it - it didn't. Normally, when I first plug in the HM, there is a bit of a pause while it boots, and then it displays the network address. That's not happening now. As soon as I plug it in, it displays like it's operating - pit and probe temps, fan percentage - but I don't think it's actually working, and it doesn't connect to the network. I even left it unplugged overnight, and when I plugged it in, it did the same thing.

Any idea what is wrong? What should I do to troubleshoot/fix it?

Thanks!

The HM will operate on its own (without the rPi) to control the pit, the web interface all comes from the rPi. It sounds like your rPi may not be booting, or may not be connecting to the network for some reason.
I would remove the rPi from the HM, reseat the sd card, reseat the wifi dongle (if you have one), then reassemble and test. IF it still doesnt connect you can connect a monitor to the rPi to see what it is doing, or try to reset the settings with the HM menu or by freshly writing the sdcard with the latest image from the HM /dl site with your wifi details entered in... You might also try a different SD card if you have one.

Thanks, Ralph. I'll check those things out on the pi.

I brought the HM inside and plugged it in with just a thermocouple probe plugged in. The pit temp is reading 416F. I think I've seen something like this before, but haven't had much luck searching. Does this indicate something obvious to you?

Thanks again!

Just to follow up - it was apparently the SD card. I flashed a new card, updated the network settings, and voila, it worked! I have no idea why the old one quit working, but I'm glad it's all back up. Changed the pit probe back to thermocouple, and that's fixed too. Thanks, Ralph!

Back