Charcoal usage

Geo S

TVWBB Super Fan
I know a lot of people claim the 22WSM is a charcoal hog and the 18 more "efficient"

So if you use the smaller charcoal ring in the 22, do you actually realize the savings in charcoal, is it truly more efficient, or does the extra volume of the 22 negate any "efficiency"?
It seems to me, you'll just run out of charcoal faster with a smaller ring.

Anyone that has tried it both ways?

Geo... Like changing the gas tank in one's car to a smaller one. Only reduces how far one can travel on a tankful.

Geo... Like changing the gas tank in one's car to a smaller one. Only reduces how far one can travel on a tankful.

This. The 22 I'm sure is a bit less fuel efficient, it's a larger cooker with more surface area dumping heat to the atmosphere (that's fuel you burned that's not cooking your food, aka wasted energy). But putting less charcoal in isn't going to make it more efficient.

Just did a butt last weekend. Filled the standard ring on a 22" WSM, used the minion method w/ a Digi-Q, clay saucer in the pan (foiled to keep clean), ran at 230 and after nine hours still had better than half the ring left unused.

Whether I'm cooking ribs or a boston butt I fill up the charcoal ring and reuse what doesn't burn on that cook. It's better to have too much fuel than not enough.

I never tried it, and just use as much charcoal in the 22 as I think it needs, I always have leftover coals when I shut it down.
Was just curious because some folks claim the smaller ring makes a difference, I just couldn't see how it would be possible.

So thanks for the confirmation.

I bought the 22 for the extra room and for laying ribs flat. I have a smaller SS ring ( repurposed drain scupper) and I'm thinking it would be good for short cooks like chicken parts or smoked chops.
I use my 18 more so haven't had a chance to use the smaller ring yet. I know several members have used smaller rings in the past, maybe they'll chime in?
Tim

Back