Chuck roast

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
Chuckie going on in morn. 4 ponder planning on bout 10 hrs at 225. Gonna rub it with some mexican rub. Pull it. Add some onion and enchilada sauce. Put it in a pan covered with cheddar and sliced jalapenos and.bake till cheese is browned. Any advice or tips?? Will post pic tomorrow. Looking for internal temp of 205. Oh and when i said pull it i meant like shred it.

Take it to 160 then foil. Cook till a fork twists it like spaghetti.

Tim

Ditto. I've done a handful of chuck roasts and foiling is crucial. There's a lot of intramuscular fat in there that doesn't even start to break down until it hits about 180-190. You really want to braise it, which requires a sealed environment with a small amount of liquid (maybe a cup at most, I usually stick to 1/2 cup). More liquid than that and you're boiling it. Also plan on at least an hour's rest after it's tender.

What you do with it afterward is your call, but I wouldn't put cheese on it. That's just my thing, though; IMO, the only cheese in BBQ should be in the macaroni on the side.

I'm sitting here playing online and Cook's Country is on PBS in the background, and the somewhat disgraced Christopher Kimball just explained why beef collagen (it's a short ribs recipe) breaks down better in moist heat than dry.

From that it looks more disgusted than disgraced. I hate when the kids fight!
Anyone notice that "Cooks Illustrated" has changed its "tone" since his departure too?

I have a 3.5 lb chuck on the 14.5 WSM sitting at 140 at the moment. It's been in about 3 hours so far. Would it hurt instead of foiling to just throw it in a crock pot at 180 to finish it off? Or is foil and leave it on the smoker better?

Once you've foiled it, the surrounding vessel is just supplying heat. The meat won't know the difference between WSM and crock pot. Use whichever is most convenient.

Back