Thread: Automatic Temperature Control

Automatic Temperature Control

I built my mini with a Smokey Joe Silver which has 1 pin wheel vent on the very bottom and one on top. The temp can stay steady for hours, but it can also get away. So much so that I would be afraid to leave it unmonitored for long. Has anyone found an Automatic Temperature Control that will work for this setup? Sorry if I missed an answer when I searched for this but I couldn't find anything that was specific to the home made mini.

The Party-Q from BBQ Guru will work with the mini. You would need to add a side vent in order to make it work. You would keep the lower wheel vent closed.

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?Cat...1&ProductId=34
    18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

Here's the actual set up you'd want to order:

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav/gur...=179&kitId=160
    18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

TVWBB Member
    I just drilled a hole big enough for the adapter of my PartyQ to fit in on the side of the WSJ. No need to add another vent on the side. I can post a pic if you want to see it.
    18.5" WSM , 14" WSM , Smokey Joe Mini WSM , Black Performer

I get the idea. Thanks for the replies. I was wondering how you experience has been with the PartyQ? For example how long a cook can you get and does it hold the temp really well?

TVWBB Member
    On my 18.5" I can get 10-12 hour, and I can get 8-10 on the 14". I also use it on my mini that I built and can get 8 hours on that. Mine holds temp great. At most it goes 10 degrees higher, but doesn't stay there long.
    18.5" WSM , 14" WSM , Smokey Joe Mini WSM , Black Performer

Just wanted to throw my .02 about the Party Q. I have one that I swap between my 14.5 mini and my 18.5 "Jimmy" and it works flawlessly. I've been using mine for about 3 years now with no issues.