Pulled pork on the 14.5

Bryan Von

Ok I was wondering about the 14.5 how big of a pork butt can I fit on there and how long would it take? Having a Fourth of July party (small get together with just a few folks and wanted to know how big of a pork butt I could squeeze on there)

Here's what an 8.5 lb. one looks like on the 14.5.
Hard to say how long, I'd plan on 10 to 12 hours and adding fuel at least once.
A lot depends on cook temp, and whether you foil or not at the stall.

J_O3TZPloES_PiP4b1AEgo8p-RX3wBmgLMdd-4k3XHQbjDjpM6sGwEvB3F4ZqyArDRLD6wTryOD7CRoLgwn4JRAgAq1ZmMg5r5ykct8jZX_revFgmnuC6K8i032Xzubhj8sApt59xfmkPT3WYQmtSI_6Vin1bvVwya9ttAzUeNi314ml9PflnWmayGL-jwhpxtYi6IPmjNl-JgntmDvqLXIXm4KiXin75nLHRfy4u2asXBxyPPMRYJPODf-M2TgJpCeNBnhoCiZgeCTj5JV8APYGRDjGBmJuCiqmyRlQChuHUYb6U1MnTLHs0fz2zgDiJa36x1DDuSMdgwYk9ih19SGkH_1KHeeISUQNhPSrcRkEmOEuWw3EUbWevqBSnsVcD36UL1XSu17XeBPpRc3CcgTFvlEo4ULsxNm2LjAN7CtHge36Mnq8mtaTY9rZWxIwfSjcHrNSpRGO5iAhWJnm-tuAUbc0BTlfmNpO7O0H8wTnrCfMImxDAm6ux4nHIttVvvwOIooxm9gOuQPSL-UDQXBKYT4y2aHO5TUNth2HkrUWRflypYkejHdm-p4zAHJdn-pSdDOy5BhnJJC9T7VGCo2RquW6EQgiw7nyGkVFJpdgvfNgYCwSXg=w1011-h672-no

9 and half pounds is the largest I've done. 9 hours is about all I can get out of my 14 with the internal heat shield removed.

Bryan, I am rather new to the 14.5" smoker, but in my limited experiences, it tends to run a little on the hot side. Mind you, I usually keep the vents open, but I will shut the upwind vent off if the wind is blowing much. I also turn the dome vent downwind too.

If your experience is similar to mine, I'd say your butt could be finished in less than 12 hours. Removing the heat shield will give you more room for ashes. I usually place my shield under the smoker on a mason jar ring.

Can't remember the weight of largest butt I smoked on the 14.5" WSM, but the numbers quoted above sound close enough.

Last edited:
Wow I just finished a 7.5 lb butt on my 14.5 and I ended up getting 16 hours of burn-time from one load of Kingsford Long-Burning charcoal (heat shield removed and I'm sure the 100+ degree heat index helped on that burn-time). Still needed another 2 hours in the oven to get to probe tender. Resting in a cooler now.

My first cook on my 14.5 WSM was this 11lb butt. It barely fit and took 14 hours to fully cook but was delicious. Probably would've been done in 12 but I wasn't paying attention at one point and let the smoker get down to 185 degrees before refueling.

Last edited:
Wow I just finished a 7.5 lb butt on my 14.5 and I ended up getting 16 hours of burn-time from one load of Kingsford Long-Burning charcoal (heat shield removed and I'm sure the 100+ degree heat index helped on that burn-time). Still needed another 2 hours in the oven to get to probe tender. Resting in a cooler now.

That is a long time in the smoker, Danny. What was your average temp?

My first cook on my 14.5 WSM was this 11lb butt. It barely fit and took 14 hours to fully cook but was delicious. Probably would've been done in 12 but I wasn't paying attention at one point and let the smoker get down to 185 degrees before refueling.

Welcome to the forum, Matt. :)

Back