Picked up some Genesis II parts today

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
Doing my daily Craigslist search a couple days ago I run across an ad for some Weber pieces from a Genesis II.
The owner had planned to restore the grill but soon realized he was in over his head so he decided to cut his losses.

What caught mt eyes was the lid color...Copper. While I have seen this color on newer Weber grills I have only seen it once on an older grill and that was on a Jr. model so I had to have it.

I originally made an offer on just the lid but after seeing what he had I purchased it all. He already had the Firebox and end caps sanded down and had all the wood including a very nice condition handle sanded and stained in a Mahogany finish which goes well with the Copper lid.

l51FmI8.jpg

WSUxXS8.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
I've seen that color only in the some of the old weber genesis ads that are on this site. It looks like he wrecked the texture on the outside of the firebox and endcaps, but the lid alone has to be pretty rare. You only see the black and red mostly. The brown must not have been popular, but I like it! That's a great find!

I've seen that color only in the some of the old weber genesis ads that are on this site. It looks like he wrecked the texture on the outside of the firebox and endcaps, but the lid alone has to be pretty rare. You only see the black and red mostly. The brown must not have been popular, but I like it! That's a great find!

I was a bit worried about the texture but I have 3 sets of endcaps on hand to pick from so that's no biggie. The firebox while without texture is super clean and I even pulled out the drip tray rails with nothing for than a regular screwdriver! I am working on getting one of the broken manifold bolts out and then after that is some light sanding and then high heat paint.

It's going in the 4900 series Genesis I am restoring for my Brother-

kj6sfIW.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
I was a bit worried about the texture but I have 3 sets of endcaps on hand to pick from so that's no biggie. The firebox while without texture is super clean and I even pulled out the drip tray rails with nothing for than a regular screwdriver! I am working on getting one of the broken manifold bolts out and then after that is some light sanding and then high heat paint.

It's going in the 4900 series Genesis I am restoring for my Brother-

Weber%204900%202_zpsbmrraewk.jpg

Jeff

Oh sweet Lord, you must really like your brother, or owe him really big. looking forward to seeing a refurb thread on that one.

What do you guys do with the endcaps when the paint is chipped and flaking. Seems a waste to toss them as most I have seen over 10 years old have some amount of flaking or peeling.

Bruce,
You can lightly scrape to remove the loose/flaking paint then hit it up paint a couple times to blend it. There is a light texture on the end caps so if you are not concerned about it you could always sand it down till everything is smooth and then paint.

Jeff

Yah, I found it nearly impossible to blend the flaking areas with the surrounding textured paint. I just strip it all if it is significant. The only problem with that is that the spray paint isn't as durable as the factory paint.
BTW: I use Rustoleum High Heat 1200 degree paint.

Brought the firebox to work yesterday where a co-worker and I removed the broken bolt on the Manifold side of the box.

The lid is all cleaned up both inside and out, emblem is all cleaned up and sanded.This was first emblem I have done where it did not need to be repainted, just lightly sanded. The end caps are all painted waiting for the hardware to arrive from ereplacement.

SDOLZo7.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, what kind of paint are you using for the end caps and fire box? I use Rustoleum High Heat (1200 degree). I had to deal with a couple seized bolts on the side frame. Never the manifolds bolts on the other side. I just cut the nut off if there is one with a cut off wheel and drill out the seized bolt. I found great stainless steel replacements at my local Menards and keep a few on hand. I also put Never Seize on the manifold bolts and side frame bolts when I put them back in.

I love that color on that grill. Truly unique and desirable. I am working on a Green (Mica) one now. While is is not the run of the mill black hood, it isn't what I would call "pretty".

Last edited:
The last one I did I used Stove Bright Satin Black #1990 for both the Firebox and End Caps but this time I wanted a little more gloss for the caps so I did the Rust-Oleum 241169 High Heat Ultra Enamel Spray Black.

It is a bit glossier so it gives it a bit more "pop".

Jeff

So, you used the High Heat Ultra "gloss" rustoleum on the end caps. I had been using the flat black version, Rustoleum 7778830. I use the gloss version 241169 on the frame around the fire box if it needs it. Then I use the Rustoleum 2 X gloss black on the rest of the frame and other non-heat parts.

I might try rustoleum high heat gloss on the end caps as well.

I did use the gloss. I had a set of mint early 2000's endcaps off a Genesis C model. These are the ones with the endcap studs permantly affixed to the caps without a removable stud & nut like the pre-2000 model Genesis'.
They only had a couple chips so I sprayed them up with the Rustoleum 241169.I'd have to say they are only a slightly bit more glossier than the original paint Weber used.

YAPXSTg.jpg

Jeff

Yah, I haven't been too lucky with finding "mint" end caps on the older grills. And I have been using the flat spray to fix them up.
So, with the ones that were almost mint that you repainted, did you just touch them up of spray the whole end cap with the Rusto gloss?

I am not sure when Weber switched from the studded end caps to the built in studded ones, but the two 2001 green heads I just got have the removeable studs.

Back