Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Picked up some Genesis II parts today

Yah, I love that color as well. I thought maybe it was a paint job, but I just cleaned up a Green (Mica) lid and it had the same cutoff lines as that one. The lid on the inside is the regular black.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Finished cleaning up the lid and end caps with most of the time cleaning the 20+ years of junk off the inside.
    Start:

After:

Jeff

Looks really nice. I'd like to find one of those Platinum models like that. Nearly got hold of one but the fire box was so warped and it needed so much refurbing I just did not care to go for it

Beautiful grill. How did you clean the outside of the lid? It looks perfect.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Bruce,
    Just did the tried and true 0000 steel wool with Simple Green. Works like a charm every time.

Jeff

Yep, that is what I use as well. I clean the insides with regular SS steel wool (kitchen kind) with some Simple Green or even oven cleaner. I have yet to actually scratch the porcelain coating. I won't use the kitchen steel wool on the outside just in case it does though. The inside is just soo much harder to clean up with that backed on carbonized animal flesh.

I have yet to start my personal grill project (a redhead as well). But I will try to remember some before an after photos as well. I hope my hood cleans up as well as yours. Sometimes, when they are all dirty, it is tough to see some of oxidation or chips, but it looks pretty good as it sits.

Did you repaint the box and end caps? Or were they still in good shape? Mine are going to need a few coats of Rustoleum Ultra 1200 degree paint, I am afraid.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Great work on that hood!

Man, I covet those endcaps with the internal studs ....

Slainte!

Tim

TVWBB Super Fan
    LMichaels,
    Even with the warped fire box it's still an easier restore than the Genesis as the frame used on these (Summit), is a much better built and thought out and less likely to fail due to a rust issue due to the way it is assembled. I also like how the 8" wheels attach to the frame without the exposed axle and the larger Heavy Duty casters make rolling 70" of grill very easy.

You could always grab a firebox off of a good donor.

Jeff

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by THyde View Post
    Great work on that hood!

Man, I covet those endcaps with the internal studs ....

Slainte!

Tim
    Thanks Tim,
    Search out an early Genesis B or C model around 2002 and up. It bolts right up to the older Genesis lid and uses those self cutting nuts to attach.

Jeff

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Did you repaint the box and end caps? Or were they still in good shape? Mine are going to need a few coats of Rustoleum Ultra 1200 degree paint, I am afraid.
    Bruce,
    So far I just did the end caps.I just cleaned 'em up with some Lacquer thinner and painted them with the Rustoleum Ultra. You can see the slight gloss difference between the end cap and the fire box in my pic.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff MA; 07-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast