Sunday's Black Krim tomato haul, Flower power, and a lazy afternoon Artichoke cook.

JeffG

TVWBB Emerald Member
Russian Black Krim tomato haul..

uSslT6Gl.jpg

Yard Flower Power so far..

sKM4RSZl.jpg

u64HUJpl.jpg

jl85nexl.jpg

And some Lazy afternoon Artichoke's .... = Yum..

rdX4qZYl.jpg

Life is good Jeff when you take time to stop and smell the flowers :)

Great photos!

Life is good Jeff when you take time to stop and smell the flowers :)

Great photos!

You got that right Chuck, a relaxing day all around.

Pretty flowers and neat looking tomatoes. Do they taste any different than other tomatoes?

Dan: once you grow your own tomatoes and realize how much flavor they have, its hard to even eat a store bought tomato.

The Black Krim is one of the best tomatoes i have ever tasted.

Black Krim Tomato review.
80 days. Dark red-purple fruit, rich sweet flavor. One of the best. It always places high in tomato taste trials. It's very juicy. An heirloom from Russia with very unique looking, large fruit. I really like the wonderful flavor. It's popular at many markets on the West Coast; also a favorite of many fine chefs.

Great photos Jeff I think having a garden to grow your own veggies is a must, if you grow on a organic format with compost,organic fertilsers, the flavors are very out stsding, as you say hard to buy in a store any longer.
Makes you want to build a year around green house.

Kevin: i dont compost, or use organic fertilizers....Kinda Hydroponic setup for my tomatoes.

Its called the Earthtainer, I built mine in 2011, after I saw an article in the Sunday garden section of the Register.
The one I built is Eartainer 1.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/04/a_revolutionary_way_to_grow_tomatoes.html

CKqY35m.jpg

There are youtube videos on how to make The Earthtainer if anybody is interested.
This thing works like a champ for growing tomatoes if you don't have a back 40;)

Last edited:
Those Black Krim's look similar to Heirlooms. Can't say as i've ever seen them on this end of the state. I remember posting photos of your Earthtainer last year. I remember thinking I'd like to try that. Until I get up some adequate deer fencing up, or a dog, it's hopeless with the deer herd surrounding us. Anyway, I'll check out those Youtube vid's. Those artichokes look wonderful. One of my all time favorites.

Those tomatoes look delicious and the artichokes out of sight. Love both wish we could ground them here. We have to put a raised bed in, can't grow veggies in pots. We had two aised gardens in our Prescott home we built and we were giving stuff away. They did fantastic but not here, we don't have a area that gets enough sun all the time. Your flowers are beautiful .

Super nice pictures. Tomatoes look great, I had to give up on growing tomatoes here. At the end of the growing season I picked the three that grew and I figured they cost me about $18.00 a piece.

I'd say it has photos, so good to be here, Jeff! Plus, you did cook some 'chokes! Love those tomatoes, and know what you mean about being better than anything you can buy in a store. My mom grew a prodigious amount of tomatoes in our front yard when I was growing up, and I didn't know how good I had it (complained about all the weeding and watering chores constantly!) All those home grown beauties (regular varieties.....pre-heirloom craze) ruined me for tomatoes grown any other way. I need to revive my Earthtainer, as I'm in need of tomatoes, and a new herb garden.

Thanks for posting! I'll make plans for next year, as I've pretty much missed the planting season this year.

R

Back