Adventures in Smoking, Vol. 1 Beef Short Ribs

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I've titled the post Adventures in Smoking Vol. 1, not because it was my first smoke on my 18" WSM. It was my second cook. Rather, I named it that way because it was the first time that I've had some adversity while using the WSM. Pour a drink and settle in. This was a doozy of a day.

I went to a new butcher shop on Saturday in search of beef ribs. I knew nothing about doing them (other than what I've read on here and other sites), but we were bored of pork and chicken, so we wanted to try something different. Turns out the new butcher shop (which is really just new to me) was a great place and a great resource. I saw only one rack of beef ribs in the case and kinda knew instinctively that those weren't the ones I wanted. I talked to the guy behind the counter and he helped me got some nice looking beef short ribs. In talking to him and the butcher, they advised that I go with just EVOO and sea salt. They were really nice, friendly and apparently knowledgeable. I'll definitely be going back for more meat and tips.

Sunday was cook day. I ran a couple of errands and then it was time to get down to business. It had been drizzling off and on, but I decided to get the smokey mountain fired up and go for it anyways. Loaded it a little more than half full of KBB and put two pieces of apple wood and one piece of pecan on there for the minion method.

t3sHCj9m.jpg

Between drizzles I got the chimney going (20 coals) and loaded the ribs up.

lT3FCCSm.jpg

And away she goes!!! Now, since this was going to be a slow, relaxing afternoon, it was time to have a slow, relaxing drink.

PJE6rLAm.jpg

I tried this before at a friend's house in NJ. It was the first time I saw it down here, so I scooped it up. I was excited to have a pour while I watched the Thermoworks Smoke readings from the comfort of my living room.

Well, as I was finishing up this drink my wife comes in from grocery shopping. She's being kinda short and snippy and runs off into another room. So, I start putting away the groceries for her because sometimes I am good at being a husband. She comes back into the kitchen and is cranky and then doubles over. It's clear to me that she's in a lot of pain. After talking over her symptoms, we realize it's a kidney stone. So, we quickly rush off to the ER (about 15 minutes away from the house). The whole way there she's apologizing about me having to leave the smoker and asking what's gonna happen to the meat. So, I told her that the meat can be replaced and its no big deal.

We got her checked in and in a room and medicated. While we're there waiting, she looks at me and asks if I want to go back and check on the smoker. Honestly, I was itching to rush back but knew better. We decided that when we got to an appropriate point, I'd run back home really quick. We've been through these 5 times before, so we knew what was gonna happen and about when it would happen. So, when they wheeled her back to get her CT scan, I knew that they were going to be busy with her for at least 20 minutes. She told me to head home while they were doing the CT scan. I explained the situation to the nurses and gave the front desk my cell phone number just in case. I hauled butt back home. As I turned on my street it started raining. So, I ran into the house wrapped my big grill spatula in tin foil and zip-tied it to the handle of the WSM to act like an umbrella over the vent. Then, I got the dogs back inside, ran and told the neighbor to make sure my house doesn't burn down, but not to worry about the meat. To be honest, I wasn't really concerned at this point because she had settled in and appeared to be cruising at 250*. That was the top end of the range I wanted, but I figured that it might drop a little over time, so I made no adjustments to the vents before I left.

I got back to the ER a few minutes after she had been wheeled back to the room, but before the CT scan results were back in. I sat there as patiently as I could as she endured poking, prodding, conversations about what meds to give her, blah blah blah. Finally, about 8 p.m., they determined she was good to go and gave us some prescriptions. Since I put them on the smoker at about 3:15, I figured that they probably wouldn't be ready until about 9:15. So, on the way home we stopped and got the misses a smoothie and stopped by the pharmacy to pick up her prescriptions and we pulled into the driveway almost at 9:00 on the nose. As I hopped out of my truck, I heard the Smoke beeping away. I had placed it in a cooler to try to keep it dry (which worked) and was a little surprised to see it was up near 279*, not below 225* like I had thought. then I saw that the highest temp was 288*. I was worried that they were going to be way over done. So, I grabbed my Weber instant read thermometer and smiled when they all tested out at 208*-210*. when I started the cook, I figured that I'd be happy taking them off anywhere between 190* and 205* depending on how tender they were when I started testing. So, to see that they were only a little above the 205* gave me hope that they would at least be edible. I took them off the smoker.

d9mqpfIm.jpg

Covered them up with tin foil for about 25 minutes and then dug in. Not being familiar with how one eats beef ribs, I cut the meat off of the first one. It was a little more done than I wanted, which I expected, but it was still tender and juicy. Only a few parts that weren't very fatty were slightly dry. They weren't perfect, but they were good all things considered.

P1Tfgoym.jpg

Z4qGubIm.jpg

While I was eating the first rib, I remembered reading somewhere that ideally they'll pull off of the bone clean. So, I decided that for the second rib, I'd just try to slide the meat right off of the bone and then cut it. Turns out that it's true...well cooked beef ribs will slide right off of the bone clean.

2oofCnZm.jpg

There are a couple of things I would do differently. First, I'd probably use kosher salt instead of sea salt...and use a little less of it. The bark was a little salty, which given my love for salt, says something. I'd also remember to add the EVOO. Oops. :rolleyes: Second, I'd probably just use two hunks of pecan. I don't really feel like the apple wood had enough flavor to add to the beef.

Oh, and I might ask the wife if she is going to have any kidney stones before I light the smoker and pour a bourbon. :p

One thing is good to know, a WSM will cruise on a long even if you're not sitting there bourbon in hand watching the readings on the Smoke.

You and I must be related, won't go into details but I've been down that same road. Happy to here it wasn't super bad for your wife and your ribs. I've had a kidney stone or four, not a fun thing at all.
Definitely go back to that butcher, having a butcher as a friend is a really good thing.

You and I must be related, won't go into details but I've been down that same road. Happy to here it wasn't super bad for your wife and your ribs. I've had a kidney stone or four, not a fun thing at all.
Definitely go back to that butcher, having a butcher as a friend is a really good thing.

Now I am curious, my brother from another mother. She's alright (this was number 6), but oddly the smallest was the most painful. I think I'm gonna get a brisket from him for this weekend.

Dan, I thought for sure the story was going in a different direction when you broke out the bourbon (I've made that mistake before!) :) Sorry to hear about the kidney stone! Those of us who have had gallstones argue with the kidney stone crowd over which is more painful. I hope I never have a kidney stone so that I don't get to compare due to personal experience! ;)

The ribs look good, and you've got some ideas for the next one. I think keeping them as a slab next time would be the biggest change in terms of controlling how they turn out.

Nice job hanging in there with the cook while taking good care of your wife, too! :)

R

Glad the meat and your wife were ok!!

Thanks Corey!

Dan, I thought for sure the story was going in a different direction when you broke out the bourbon (I've made that mistake before!) :) Sorry to hear about the kidney stone! Those of us who have had gallstones argue with the kidney stone crowd over which is more painful. I hope I never have a kidney stone so that I don't get to compare due to personal experience! ;)

The ribs look good, and you've got some ideas for the next one. I think keeping them as a slab next time would be the biggest change in terms of controlling how they turn out.

Nice job hanging in there with the cook while taking good care of your wife, too! :)

R

Hahaha!! Thanks!! I was surprised when they brought them out to me separated. But, the guy said that that's his preferred way of doing them (which is what I asked for). How much of an impact do you think that keeping them as a slab will have?

Oh, and I hope you don't have to deal with any stones of any kind. I can't fathom enduring that type of pain.

How much of an impact do you think that keeping them as a slab will have?

Oh, and I hope you don't have to deal with any stones of any kind. I can't fathom enduring that type of pain.

.....too late on the stones. Of course, I know I won't have anymore gallstones, since I don't have a gall bladder anymore. ;)

On the bones.....I would think that a solid slab would be easier to nail your desired "doneness" across the slab versus individual bones that are different sizes that could finish at different rates. Having said that, the idea of having more crust appeals to me, so maybe if you had a four-bone slab, you could cut it into two bone chunks to increase the surface area for crust, and have a decent compromise on the size and cook rate. I don't know, Dan, sounds like you need to do a bunch of experimentation! :)

R

.....too late on the stones. Of course, I know I won't have anymore gallstones, since I don't have a gall bladder anymore. ;)

On the bones.....I would think that a solid slab would be easier to nail your desired "doneness" across the slab versus individual bones that are different sizes that could finish at different rates. Having said that, the idea of having more crust appeals to me, so maybe if you had a four-bone slab, you could cut it into two bone chunks to increase the surface area for crust, and have a decent compromise on the size and cook rate. I don't know, Dan, sounds like you need to do a bunch of experimentation! :)

R

Hmmm...yes a LOT of experimentation!!! I like the way you think! It'll probably require more bourbon too! Or beer.

- - - Updated - - -

Ribs look great and hope your wife is better soon.

Thanks!! She's feeling better. Back to work today.

Dan, that was a fun read! All the better because your wife is ok of course. The beef ribs look great...and so does the bourbon!

Well... that had to have been a tough day for your wife & yourself. Good to see she's doing better & the cook was a success.

I always think that when these hiccups come along when cooking and the meal still turns out within reason, that I am really blessed. I've not had the distress of anyone with stones at a feast but, I did cut the tip of a finger off but, my doctor buddy was here..."No need to go to the hospital, the tip is gone, I can take care of it right here!" The dinner was grand even though I didn't have a whole lot of luck keeping my finger above my chest to eat. Finger came back from it just fine.
Glad all turned out well for your wife, and your tummy!

I always think that when these hiccups come along when cooking and the meal still turns out within reason, that I am really blessed. I've not had the distress of anyone with stones at a feast but, I did cut the tip of a finger off but, my doctor buddy was here..."No need to go to the hospital, the tip is gone, I can take care of it right here!" The dinner was grand even though I didn't have a whole lot of luck keeping my finger above my chest to eat. Finger came back from it just fine.
Glad all turned out well for your wife, and your tummy!

Man, Timothy, you handled that like a Champ. Good thing the doc was right there. I definitely felt fortunate.

Those ribs are spot on. I'm going to have to check out that whiskey...

Thanks! I'd definitely say give it a try. I'm not sure if my affinity for it is because the first time I had it was when I was hanging out with a good friend or the whiskey itself. It's a young whiskey, so to me it's a little "hot" if you drink it neat. But, once it's taken a little chill from the ice, I really enjoy it. (I tend towards bourbon on the rocks...one big cube, but scotch neat.)

Back