Ribs on 14.5.

PaulBz

TVWBB Fan
So I made a rack of ribs on the 14.5 yesterday they were awesome. I have made a few racks. I only use baby backs. I put a layer of rub on over mustard and let sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours. I have found that if you leave rub too long for ribs, it dries out the meat a little. Then I put another layer of rub and smoke for 4 hours at 225. I use the bbqiq 110 and I love that machine. I had three racks yesterday though. And to get them situated it took me a few minutes with the lid off. So the temperature really went down and it took a good 45 minutes to get back up to 225. I guess this is normal? I don't like to use the commercial woods like kingsford or western. They just don't taste as good. I used good Ozark wood from the meat store. And I used just hickory. I sprayed with apple cider vinegar a couple of times in the last hours. I feel like the bottom rack though got the benefit of the meat drippings while the top rack didn't. Any thoughts on that? I thought possibly the rub I used from the local meat store this time was a little salty. So maybe cut back on it a little. I am trying to sell my Q and eventually open a sports bar that has Q once or so a week. So trying to perfect the ribs. I want them to be the best in town. It seems these ribs had a little more of a bacony crest which I liked a lot. Maybe it was because the rack I made before I let the rub sit on the night before instead of only a couple of hours. Or maybe it was the rub or the wood? Any thoughts? The racks were the same exact racks from the same meat store. But I used three this time instead of one. Two on top and one on bottom.

Reads like you have it down for your rib cooks. & good luck with your business endeavor.

The hickory was most likely the reason for the "bacony crest".

Got pix?

But I have used hickory before and they didn't seem to have a much of a bacon crust. It was awesome. I guess it was that type of wood I used? I felt like I got a better smoke ring as well. I didn't let the rub sit overnight on the ribs like I did before. And sure enough I think they were a little more moist. That salt does dry out the meat a little. I also noticed that a couple of highly respected and great bbq places in my town use a lot of cherry. I am just not a fan of cherry on my ribs. Maybe it's just a little sweeter? But I love hickory on my ribs.

How do I upload a picture? I click on add a picture and it asks for for a url? It doesn't take me to my computer folders to add it.

IMG_20170625_194601231_zpszgpgd6br.jpg.html

I have found the upper rack to usually maintain a slightly higher temp than the lower rack. (heat rising?)
So, maybe that's why you got a little more bark on the ones on the upper rack.

No I got a great bark on both racks. Just dont know why I didn't get the same bark on the other cooks. I guess it was the wood

Back