Chilies Rellenos & Carne Asada

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
One of the reasons I made the XL (26" Performer) was to be able to conveniently fry/boil outside. Eliminates a mess in the kitchen. Makes things EZ.
So & anyway... Anaheims are looking pretty good in the stores of late & couldn't resist. Heated some Canola oil to 350*.... fried them... put them in the sauna... let them sweat for 30 minutes.

PICT5587_zps6e7pz2gj.jpg

The benefit of frying the chilies vs roasting them is that the walls of the chilies don't collapse. Peeled & stuffed with Queso Enchilado.

PICT5591_zpst8n5tfok.jpg

Rolled them in flour.

PICT5593_zps7nczeusj.jpg

Made the batter (3 eggs): whipped egg whites w/ a tsp of salt. & beat the egg yolks.

PICT5599_zps3pjdw0q9.jpg

Folded the yolks into the whites & was ready to rock.

PICT5604_zpsw5d9sqvy.jpg

Coated in batter & fried in oil at 350*. (note: it's helpful to have a bowl of water handy for cleaning your hands when coating/frying the chilies)

PICT5606_zpshp5s7iku.jpg

PICT5610_zpstnrbutfl.jpg

Fried some beans.

PICT5612_zpsxlolklnk.jpg

Put the rellenos in the gasser at 350* for half an hour or so.

PICT5616_zpshtu0vovn.jpg

Warmed some Las Palmas Picante Green Enchilada sauce mixed with Embassa Sausa Verde (or make your own sauce).

PICT5620_zpsiav24ndc.jpg

Last edited:
Marinated some Carne Arranchera for several hours prior & grilled it. Sorry for the blurry pic.

PICT5622_zpsc3pdabuz.jpg

PICT5628_zpsmfuj6sdv.jpg

Time To Eat!

PICT5637_zpsdzgrxrfj.jpg

¡Fue grandioso! Well worth the effort.

The marinade for the Arranchera:
3 cloves garlic, minced. 1/4 cup lime juice. 1/4 cup pineapple juice. 1/4 cup canned chipotles. 3 tbs tequilla. 1/4 cup olive oil. 1/2 tsp salt.
Liquify in a blender. Marinate meat for 2 hours or so.

Last edited:
I'd be all over that like a chicken on a June bug....Love Chilies Rellenos, thanks for the recipe.

I'd be all over that like a chicken on a June bug....Love Chilies Rellenos, thanks for the recipe.

Thank you!

I make them quite often, although not always outside. Once you get your routine down, they go rather quickly.

You don't have to skin the chilies within 15 minutes (as most recipes suggest) in the sauna. They can be heat hot to handle... I've let them "steam" for 45 minutes until room temp. & I don't remove the seeds - that's a pita & I rather like them... some good flavor/heat there, imho. Don't wash the skinned chilies. I cut the cheese into 1/4" square sticks (doesn't have to be exact) which is about right - much bigger & the slits in the chilies tend to rip. You can make the batter with 3 egg whites & 2 yolks, however I have no use for the extra yolk, so I use it. Make the batter after the oil is to temp. You have to work rapidly when battering/frying the chilies as the batter can go to nothing in a hot kitchen or high outside temps - one reason I like to make them outside in the evening. It works out well to put the whips in a bowl of water in case you need to make more batter, makes them ez to clean (need clean bowls, too). It's not good to whip the whites with the beaters covered in yolk.

C_KzDXoXkAAlEkJ.jpg

Last edited:
Robert, I, at once love what you be done and hate you for making if just look so darned good! My egg salad sandwich just isn't cutting it!
Fabulous feast!

It's 2 Weber charcoal baskets combined into 1. Works well in the 26.5 XL.

Pop the baskets apart with a screw driver, fit them together, drill some holes & use ss bolts/nuts to fasten the 2 parts together.
Flatten & bend the tabs as necessary. &... drill a few more holes - it's adjustable!

Something someone came up with on another forum. Can't find the thread.

Awesome. Was the glass of scotch for the batter or to help the cook get a little "whipped up"??? Hahaha ;) Thanks for sharing.

Back