Costco says you can Smoke Your Own Salmon!

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Spotted at Costco: Smoke Your Own Salmon. Wood chips included. Weber grill sold separately.

MFIk7Gf.jpg

Oi2G8nB.jpg

Funny, Chris. I saw this, too, while I was wheeling my whole sockeye to the register.... :) I chuckled a little. :)

R

...meanwhile, we wait for Costco to start selling prime packers again...

Come on out to my CostCo, Jim, we've still got 'em! (Sorry, that was mean......I'll make sure I have plenty of PBR and brats for you, too!) ;)

R

I learned a long time ago, if you see something you like at Costco get it as more than likely it won't be available the next time you go there.

I noticed USDA Prime briskets went up from $2.69/lb to something like $3.69 or thereabouts at Costco here in San Jose. :(

Chris, Are they advocating cold smoking or is (more likely) a hot smoke for the salmon? Last Xmas, I got a Weber smoking unit for cold smoking salmon--European model--but I've read so much conflicting advice since then on its safety.

Chris, Are they advocating cold smoking or is (more likely) a hot smoke for the salmon? Last Xmas, I got a Weber smoking unit for cold smoking salmon--European model--but I've read so much conflicting advice since then on its safety.

Based on the "Serving Suggestion" photo I posted showing salmon and veg cooked in foil over hot coals, I'd say hot smoking.

The recipe uses a wet brine to cure with the addition of liquid smoke. The curing process limits food risk. This is dedinitely cold "smoking" sic. The liquid smoke sounds problematic.

Back