Modified Jim meet Modified Britu....BBR cook

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Cooked six racks of BBRs for a friend's party today. I laid down about a 1/2 ring of unlit KBB with one 3"-4" dia. hunk of cherry. Added a full lit chimney atop it for what I call a Modified Minion for a Modified BRITU. Had about 3" of water in bottom of pan. Had to open the side door a few times to get the grate temp (measured by my TelTru) to hover between 250-275; lid is always about 25 degrees lower.

Rubbed with Ray Lampe's original basic rub (still by far one of my favorites). Probed tender at around 3 hours. I pulled at 3:15 and they could have gone another 15 min. with no irreparable damage. Applied Danny Gaulden's Mustard Glaze and served with SC Mustard Sauce (from Dr. BBQ's Slow Fire cookbook). They got scarfed. Speaking of the SC sauce, I almost felt guilty when I only brought it--no red--but, once people try it, it outpaces the ketchup-based sauce by 2x or 3x. People LOVE it.

1/2 full with one hunk of cherry

Full lit chimney

Dr. BBQ's Basic Rub from his first cookbook! (I like salt in my rib rubs....)

6 racks in--ready to go!

At the turn (1.75 hours in)--turned over and top went to bottom and vice versa

Crummy picture of glazed rack (alum. foil on a sunny day doesn't help....)

Glazed and ready to eat

I think I'll take this one......even with the peppercorn!

I've come to realize that less is more as it pertains to smoke & ribs. I remember reading the BRITU recipe the first time and thinking "No way" at the part about no added wood. It simply works.

Regarding length of cook time, I think 3:15 - 3:30 hrs is about right for my smoker with a 250 grate temp.

Back