Chicken Quarters

Mike Gray

TVWBB Super Fan
Been a while since I have posted and to be honest, my last several cooks ended as dismal failures. It happens, but that many in a row had me a little nervous about this cook. I made 8 chicken quarters, brined for 6 hours yesterday and dried in the fridge over night. Half seasoned with Kosmos Dirty Bird and the other with a homemade version of Slap yo Daddy chicken seasoning. Fired up the WSM and cranked the heat for some crispy skin. In the end the skin wasn't as crisp as I hoped for but the flavor was spot on.

Just getting started

Your plate - A little chicken with some roasted veggies and my wife's amazing mac and cheese.

After a few cooks not up to standard, this one was a hit! Both came out great and honestly couldn't pick which flavor I liked best.

Almost forgot....made some hot and mild italian sausages as well.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, I'd say you knocked it out of the park...when it comes to chicken I'm a dark meat guy and I love a good Italian sausage, so pass me a plate. A big plate.

Looks, great, Mike! Glad you had a cook you were happy with after the last few. Do you have an idea why the others didn't turn out the way you wanted? Whatever it was, looks like you are back in command!

R

Know the feeling, I've had a few in a row go south on me, very frustrating. Looks like you're back in the saddle again now though

You nailed that one from the start, outstanding cook and awesome looking plated pic.

Looks, great, Mike! Glad you had a cook you were happy with after the last few. Do you have an idea why the others didn't turn out the way you wanted? Whatever it was, looks like you are back in command!

R

I made ribs twice, whole chicken and some steaks. All had various problems from under cooked (tough) to too much smoke wood, to over cooking the steaks. It was a comedy of errors and a bunch of rookie mistakes I haven't made in years. I guess we all go through a rough patch, but I'm glad things are back on track.

Pulled pork is this weekend so I hope the good fortune stays with me.

Back