375* on a Genesis 330?

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Was trying to cook at 375* on a Genesis 330 earlier this am & couldn't do it. Temp at the grate as measured with a maverick 372.

With the 2 outside burners on low, I got 405*
With one outside burner on high... temps settled down to 365*.

Is there a dead space between 365 & 405? Or am I doing things incorrectly (I'm never wrong).

This is a fairly new to me CL purchase. Haven't used it that much.

Sounds like you have north / south burners. I have an older E320 with east / west burners so I can't give you a good answer. Mine with back burner wide open settles in at 325 (Maverick at the grate) to get 375 I have to have the middle burner on low.

Have to ask, are you cooking candy or something that requires such specific control of temp ?

It's a grill not an oven. You can get approximate temps but they cannot and will not hold exact temps. Every puff of wind, every time the outside temps change the internal temps will change. There is no thermostat to control the flame(s) so. Sure you can get say a fairly solid 350 i.e. However it will never be as accurate as your household oven which sits is a temp controlled space, has a thermostat and no wind. There is no comparison. My advice? If you need something cooked that precisely use your oven. That's what it's for

Well, I'd like to get a fairly solid 375*. Doable?

I cook all the time with charcoal & realize & can handle cooking within a range of temperatures.

Last edited:
Depends on what you call a "solid" temp. You can probably get a 375ish temp but know that a breeze or lack of can cause that to vary by 30 deg or more. You also run into the vagaries of the thermometer in use and so on. Heck even a regular oven (gas anyway) is not that accurate. They are on or off. One of the reasons I switched to a dual fuel range because electric ovens are far more accurate than gas ovens (safer too). Maybe you could get a Weber Q240 or 2400 electric grill. They have a thermostat and are fully lined and hold a very solid temp. But a gas grill sitting on a patio will never be that accurate. Actually a charcoal grill can be more accurate especially an offset model

Back