Do Some Weber Kettles Cook Better Than Others?

As I did my final cook yesterday on my brother's "G" code OTS survivor kettle before completely disassembling and cleaning it last night (he's taking possession of it next weekend) I pondered: Do some kettles cook better than other ones?

I'm not so much curious as to differences between sizes (e.g., SJ vs. 18.5 vs. 22.5 vs. 26.75), but rather similarities or differences within the same size. So my question goes out to those who have a few kettles of a particular size, and cook regularly with them: a new 26 vs. an older "flat top," or a newer econo-kettle 22's vs. an old MBH.

One thing I have noticed with this "G" code over the past 25-30 cooks is simply how well it performs...period. She isn't much of a looker, but man, I am blown away each time I've used it. It cooks better than the one my in-laws gifted me when I got married. Does it perform better because the lid fits properly and its not out-of-round like the one my in-laws gave me? Probably. Does the OTS system help? Perhaps? But beyond that...I am not sure this one would cook any better than a mid 60's model...or a brand new 22.5" OTS from Lowes.

Sure, some people will tell you that faded black ones have "extra MOJO" or insist that the red kettles were discontinued "because they cook SOOO much better than the black ones," but lets try to remain objective as possible on this question, rather than relying on our own subjectivity.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have read on here that the 22" daisy wheel kettles cook differently than the one touch grills. Both of my 22s are one touch. I'm searching for a nice red head daisy wheel kettle, but no luck so far. If and I mean if I ever find one I'll try and do a comparison because like you I'm curious to find out if it is true or not.

I think they use a thinner metal on the newer ones. Older lids feel like they have more heft then the new ones.
I have an 06 OTG, 2012 OTG and a 2014 performer ( all black ) and the 06 just feels heavier. They all cook the same for grilling but for indirect the 06 is my go to.

Tim

I think they are different. Mine cooks a lot better than any others. :)
Except mine.;)

I've always felt that the Bar-B-Kettles and Bar-B-Q-Kettles offered much better heat control than the One Touch models; I have only BBKs and BBQKs and often use them with the vents open different amounts. My theory is that Weber realized the traditional kettles were selling only to Real Men and there was a large, untapped market, so the One Touch system was designed to sell to those people who carried European Carry-alls and got "mani-pedis" and didn't want to touch the vent discs because they were "hot" and "icky". Frankly, Weber should've just named the whole One Touch line the "Fancy Boys" and been done with it.;)

I have a 22 kettle & a 22 performer. The performer runs hotter than the kettle. I think that it leaks a little at the 9 & 3 o'clock areas, opposite of the 12 & 6 o'clock positions where the support brackets are.

I have a 22 kettle & a 22 performer. The performer runs hotter than the kettle. I think that it leaks a little at the 9 & 3 o'clock areas, opposite of the 12 & 6 o'clock positions where the support brackets are.

I got four 57cm kettles and all of them were leaking. It's easily fixed with some self adhesive 2mm glass fibre gasket made for stoves. I put it on the lid of all of mine and now they close completely and keep the heat in.

Not really. As to thickness, that has been debunked. A three wheeler will cook differant than a one touch. They are not the same kettle. They each need a differant setup to cook well. Even on the same kettle, many don't get the same results every time. Just learn yer kettle. There are greater things to worry about like if I will ever get a red kettle.

I have a 22" kettle that was built in 1979 and one from 1987. The metal is thicker and heavier on the one from 79, and I think
that it holds the heat better than the newer one.

Two differences I have seen between old and new. My modern 26" kettle works better with a vortex for wings and such than my flat top 26ers (both a daisy wheel and a one touch), perhaps because the lid on the newer one give the kettle a more parabolic shape to reflect the heat downward at better angles. The second is as others have mentioned-- it is easier to control temps for long cooks with the daisy wheels than it is with the one touch. the one touch is very sensitive to the slightest adjustment, forcing me to use the lid daisy wheel to dial in temps.

Additionally, although I have never weighed them, the older kettles DO seem slightly heavier than the modern kettles. Perhaps Weber never altered the gauge of steel they used, but something is different with both lid and bowl density, in my opinion. Maybe it is the enamel layer, who knows...

Back